• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swap the Box Seat for Springer Seat - Question

dbesade

First off-

Many thanks for the assistance with my Turbo question a few weeks ago. Just got it back from the shop all nice and rebuilt. As a part of my "Winter Maintenance", I also ordered a NOS Springer Seat and I pulled out the Box (found out the bench is attached to the box.. more on that in a second) and found that the mounting holes in the spring base don't match up with the holes on the floor.

Now, I can't just drill holes in the cab floor since the seat mounts go into a cross member, so it would appear my options are to modify the holes in the seat base. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I did a search and didn't find much, besides some options for the bench seat...

-Dave

jbayer

Yes. I'm thinking there are different springer bases. I had a springer seat in my Deuce, and I bought two new springer base's, and they both had different hole patterns then my old springer base/Deuce floor. I had to make a template, and re-drill the new base to match the floor.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah, just drill the base. Use a lot of Kroil on the fasteners in the floor, been in there long time.
Don't break the fasteners. You are going to sit higher.

dbesade

Thanks for the information! I was able to get the bench and box out fairly easily... I'll probably replace the bolt hardware to be safe. Now, what does everyone do with the Bench Seat? It uses the box as a "left leg" and I suppose I could cut the right side of the box off and keep it as a mount.. or does anyone have a better solution?

-Dave

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the information! I was able to get the bench and box out fairly easily... I'll probably replace the bolt hardware to be safe. Now, what does everyone do with the Bench Seat? It uses the box as a "left leg" and I suppose I could cut the right side of the box off and keep it as a mount.. or does anyone have a better solution? -Dave
Just keep what you got for a bit of time, some people want to sell their springer seats and put the originals back in....ask around.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had put a springer seat into my truck way back. My two cents worth for the driver side are that I got a ridiculously cheap air ride base from a scrap yard and put a comfy NOS HMMWV high back seat on top of it. Still looks like it belongs there and the ride comfort is much, much better. My passenger can now enjoy the springer seat. Ha.

dbesade

I had put a springer seat into my truck way back. My two cents worth for the driver side are that I got a ridiculously cheap air ride base from a scrap yard and put a comfy NOS HMMWV high back seat on top of it. Still looks like it belongs there and the ride comfort is much, much better. My passenger can now enjoy the springer seat. Ha.
Well, at the moment I'm coming from an old box... that was re-covered with less foam (Basically sit on metal). The springer was pretty pricey once shipping was included, I'm hoping to not have to deal with it for a while (Why I bought a NOS one)... what was the experience with yours?

-Dave

texas30cal

I bought a conplete nos springer locally for $100, I also had to re-drill, my advice would be to disassemble and grease all the pivot point before installing. After about a week of daily use my was squeaking BAD.

tobyS

I'd like to find the base of an A3 to replace the passenger box (in my M35A3). I have two new seats to go in just like the one pictured below. I haven't found a base just like the OEM drivers base, so now I'm leaning toward putting an air ride on the driver and moving the spring base to the passenger.

dbesade, your passenger will be riding with much more comfort. I second cattlerepairman for making a template. Photo is of the seat I put in my 817, but I had to make a box to bring it up...no spring but much nicer padding.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is 2 springer bases. One will work with just drilling holes, the other is a 939 series which is what I put in my truck. I had to cut some metal off to access the master cyl door in the floor of the cab(and drill a hole or two).

dbesade

There is 2 springer bases. One will work with just drilling holes, the other is a 939 series which is what I put in my truck. I had to cut some metal off to access the master cyl door in the floor of the cab(and drill a hole or two).
This is what I suspect I was sold as well. You mind sending some pictures my way of your placement and cut?

-Dave

tobyS

Chris, Is there a spring base made for the deuce besides what they used on the A3? I don't know if my A3 base will fit on the passenger side, now that you mention the access door. I have it out and could check, but darn it is getting cold.

gimpyrobb

Yes, the original, standard springer base. The A3 is a newer style. I'll see if I can find pics

Standard base:
springer seat.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

Yes, the original, standard springer base. The A3 is a newer style. I'll see if I can find pics

Standard base:
View attachment 711030
So that is the picture of a standard M35 base and seat?? I can't tell the difference with the 939...must be a tad smaller. Are they available...just a base?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

You'd never know the difference till you tried to put it in a deuce and it covered the door in the floor. Yes, I had some bases only a couple years ago.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, a bunch of stuff here, some of which Gimpy has covered.

A. When a vehicle is equipped with a spring ride, there is an inverted "U" shaped leg that bolts to the inner side of the bench to support it. Looks like Dave @ Eastern hooked you up.

B. There are different springers for the M939 series, the base is the only difference.

C. An M44A3 drivers seat, as configured, will obstruct the master cylinder access plate on the floor. This is because they didn't need it, the M44A3 reservoir is on the firewall. I've seen lots of people cut their M44A3 seat bases or cut their master cylinder access door. No need for all that.

See this image: This is an M44A3 seat in an M35A2: notice how the front passenger side corner of the base is sitting on top of the master cylinder door?

uploadfromtaptalk1398869200497.jpg

Take your M44A3 seat, flip it upside down, unbolt the base and rotate it 90° so that the closed end is facing forward. Now put it back in the truck and voila:

20160512_175921[1].jpg20160512_175945[1].jpg

D. M44A3 drivers seats don't grow on trees and I wanted one for my passenger side, so it would match and so it would be more comfortable for the passenger. I didn't realize this, but a spring ride seat is so vertical that without a steering wheel to "hold" you in place, you constantly feel like you're falling forward. I found this out when someone else drove my truck I was passenger. So I found the seat part and fabbed up some crappy brackets to mount them to the springer base. So I can put everything back to stock if I ever want to and the seat is still adjustable.

See:

20150124_141607.jpg20150124_132237.jpg20150124_130920.jpg20150124_130809.jpg20150122_182154.jpg20150122_182135.jpg20150124_141613.jpg

E. The M939 series springer base is larger and I think the bolt holes are in different places. You'd never realize it until you compared the two. Otherwise identical to the M39/M44/M809 series springers.

Last edited:

tobyS

My M35A3 master cylinder access door is welded shut and tank is on the firewall... and it clears the seat base anyway. I'm making mod to my floor on the pass side at the tunnel to accommodate a PTO and pump, but I think that is mostly in front of the seat base.

I'll put up a parts wanted ad for an M35, 809 series springer base and leave the OEM on the drivers side or just head down to C&C....they should have one.

I can't see why the larger base of a 939 would give any problems on the passenger side for the OP application.

Clinto, I'm not sure what mod made it feel like you were being thrown forward??? Is that why you kept the slider, to position the butt differently....forward?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks