• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapped Turbo400 today

chevyrac66

Well today I swapped a tranny in one of our M1009's. Local vehicle we picked up with a bad trans. Pretty easy job. Just gotta watch that top bolt on the t-case.. almost forgot it up there. Got a special tool from the Snap-On man coming that the Jeep techs told me about. 9/16" t-handled ratcheting wrench. Ill post a pic as soon as he brings it, But it helps ya reach that bolt on top of the t-case so you dont have to pull the crossmemeber and lower the rear of the assembly. It's about $40 and It's a lifesaver if I'm gonna be doin a few more of these jobs! Put the new trans in and it shifts beautifully! The truck was really in good shape other than the trans! I didn't get many pics since it was a little messy under there with all that Dex III to deal with! This is definatly a job you could do at home in your driveway if it was necessary as long as you could get the truck up high enough to slide the tranny out! Just thought I'd share with ya guys!

chevyrac66

yeah its just the four bolts, I just dont like to lower the rear of the assembly down and put stress onto the motor mounts though. thats why the special tool is so helpful IMO

skateabrock

im getting ready to do the same thing this weekend. the only thing that im worried about is holding up the new tranny, since my truck sits way higher up then stock, hopefully i get it no problem though. any other helpfull tips?

fitz

If your using a floor jack to lower/lift the trans you may need a big block of wood if your working on a lifted truck.
It may also help to get 2 long bolts that will screw into the back of the block. You can cut the heads off the bolts and use them to help line up the trans.