• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping a 6.2 for a 6.5 NA.

danoscooter

First time doing anything of this magnitude. Got started on pulling out the 6.2 today. Got all fluids and electrical disconnected. Also got the flex plate bolts taken off. Ran into a stuck bolt on the transmission to the block. Sprayed it with penetrating oil and will take another hack at it in the morning.

The plan is to get all the sensors and pulleys swapped over once I get the blocks side by side. But I do have a few questions about getting the 6.2 out. Do I need to take the starter off as well as the radiator? Also when pulling the long bolts out of the motor mounts do I need to support the motor or is that unnecessary?

Anyways this should be interesting with no experience but I look forward to saying I did the work myself. Suggestions or concerns are welcome.

Thanks

Daniel

Attachments

2002ford

Yes, you will need to pull the starter and radiator. The motor mount bolts only come out when you start lifting the engine out.

danoscooter

Got the stuck bolt loose today as well as removing the starter and radiator. Was a good few hours of work. Now I gotta go to work and continue work on the truck on Sunday. Sure wish I had more time to work on this but someone's got to deliver the mail!

danoscooter

What is this and will the 6.2 version go on the the 6.5 block?

Swapping everything over from the 6.2 to the 6.5 motor. Everything is going OK but I do have a few questions feel for you guys.

What is the part toward the back of the motor that is ran off of a vacuum line? When I pull it out it has a gear that goes into the block. I pulled the one off of the 6.5 to inspect it. The one on the 6.5 looks to be electronically controlled but otherwise the same. Are these interchangeable between the two blocks?

I did notice the one on the 6.5 is located on slightly to the right of the center of the motor while the one on the 6.2 is slightly to the left. Just wanted to make sure that swapping these would cause a catastrophic failure.

Thanks,

Daniel

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.2L item is the vaccuum pump for the transmission. It also drives the oil pump via the camshaft.

The 6.5L item is the tach drive. It also drives the oil pump via the camshaft.

When restabbing the vacuum pump make sure the oil drive shaft is inserted properly

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should fit like a glove.

Read the TM on replacing the vacuum pump.

Stonepicker1

??? for you:
I take it you have a HMMWV 24 volt injector pump on the 6.5L..are you swapping out the top cap on the pump with your old CUCV 12 volt injector pump ?

Check your water pump rotation, you may have to change the water pump and timing cover.

I see your engine is a rebuild....did you try starting the engine? It's not fun pulling the same engine twice. I know, been there done that.

Good luck and I hope all works out for you.

danoscooter

That's the plan with the IP top. Never messed with the injection pump. Is it pretty straight forward to switch the caps?

And yes on the water pump. I have I have swapped it out with the correct rotation pump.

As far as ground hopping it, I haven't done that. When I bought the motor it came with a bunch of paperwork on the rebuild even a dyno test and oil analysis. So I'm pretty confident that she will be fine but I may still hop it.

I did notice though that the oil filter sticks out horizontally. Is that something I'm gonna have to change or modify?

Thanks for all the info guys!

danoscooter

So I ground hopped the 6.5 and today was supposed to be the day I dropped it in the 09. I replaced the motor mounts because the old ones were cracking.

When we went to drop the engine in the bay we had issues getting it to fit. The motor mount on the motor gets about two inches from the mount on the frame when the flex plate hits the bell housing on the tranny. Got to cold so I quit for the night.

Any tips or tricks for fitment? Do I need to have the motor at more of an angle?