• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping a 6.5 HMMWV into the m1008

EODTECH90

I bought a m1008 after selling my 09 in the sig, it was in service till 98, until tatnall county bought it, where it was used gingerly by a 67 year old gentleman as a mantnance truck, until he got skin cancer, after that a 20 year old got it issued to him where he was pulling a load of rebar at 80 mph and the headgasket went, they let it sit afterwards for 6 months at which point the cylinders were full of antifreeze, i couldnt get it to turn over so i figured id get a replacement, till i figured this one out, i bought a 6.5 hmmwv turbo diesel, now i just need to put it in as i have a shop and a 10 ton indoor crane at the shop at my disposal, any advice would be awesome, old engine is out completly i just need some of you guys's wisdom, i have new motor mounts, glowplugs, oil filter, im going to test the new motor here soon, and i will post up pics as well, thanks in advance, if anybody wants to call me/ get in contact 702-327-6679-frank[thumbzup]:grd:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Externally the blocks are the same. You'll need to swap the accessory and pulley system over to the 6.5.

ranchhopper

Your going to have to cut your firewall to make room for the turbo set up you can fab up a dog house like we did for a buddies truck when we dropped did I say dropped more like shoe horned one into his.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 90 I spoke of was the oil filter adapter you spoke of. It can be removed. Yup, major fabrication to mount that turbo. Search for "CUCV Build" thread started by devilman96. There are some pics of his firewall mods somewhere in there.

Chief_919

Yep, the center mount turbo setups require some signifigant firewall modification to fit.

HMMWV's use the center mount turbo style GM used in vans, some RV's and box trucks. On all those the removable dogbox made fitting it and servicing it easy.

Trucks and blazers use the side mount turbo.

Even when you shoehorn the rear mount turbo in with some firewall mods, if you every have to work on it you will hate life.

ryan77

Your better off getting a 6.5 from a bone yard and use the turbo set up from it! A lot less bs to deal with!!!

EODTECH90

i already bought the motor... im doing it the old one is out so, half the works done thanks to the devilman for his "instruction manual" i got what i need to figure it out, hopefully, what im gonna do is cut out approx what he did and then fit the motor in and go from there, if i can get the motor in and be able to drive it thats what i need to get the chain of command, which is being awesome about it not giving me much trouble, to stay that way, i have 2 6.2 motors that i need to get rid of, one im going to use for the alts and al that other stuff, to set up the 6.5 the other i need to get rid of because i got two blocks in the bay which isnt good, the one i need to sell has a crack on the outside of the block, which it still ran, i need to sell all the parts off that to free up some room, in the shop..... arg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget. Odds are good that the 6.5 had a serpentine belt. You will need to change the waterpump as serp equipped pumps are reverse rotation. Also, I would groundhop that engine if you can. I gave Dman his and as fresh as it looked, it needed a piston.

ryan77

Go to the bone yard just get the turbo, etc it will be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper! use your good block!! Just my 2 cents ive done the swap your talking about!!!

EODTECH90

got it this one didnt have a serp belt, im gonna try to start it up before install, PRAY ITS GOOD!!! im donna take pics tomorrow, its not gonna be nearly as super awesome as dmans but its gotta run lol or else im takin it to our range and use it to simulate an IED lol, but if anyone needs any motor parts i need to get em out of the shop, what is groundhop?

ranchhopper

One thing to remember too is a lot of those turbo'd engines that were sold on GL had cracked blocks or heads Hopefully who ever you bought it from has had it checked out as Kenny suggested start it in the can and see how it runs before installing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks