• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping a PTO

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey all! I'm going to swap a PTO onto my duece that I just put a winch on. Do I need to drain the transfer case before I pull the PTO cover off or is the oil level below the cover where I dont have to worry about oil leaking on my driveway? Thanks,Devin

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PTO port on the transmission, or transfer case? Stock PTO, on transmission, for winch, you need to drain some oil out. When I was installing a rear output PTO on mine, I had a container to catch the oil, looks like about a gallon came out. Compare the height of the fill plug with the height of the pto plate to see how much might come out.
Dennis

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's PTOs for both, that's why Stretch asked! Drain it all and replace it if you can. Gear oil is still cheap. Also don't forget to shim the PTO with gaskets to get clearance between the PTO gears and tranny gears.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How do you know you have shimmed the PTO properly?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
barefootrubi said:
can you have a pto on both tranfer case and transmission at the same time?
Yup, you sure can! Lets see, the following have both! Deuce wreckers, pipeline trucks, polesetters, tankers with winches and V17A/MTQs. No doubt I've missed something but there you go!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats exactly right. Gives the accessory multiple speeds an fwd and reverse for winches. Wouldn't want to spin the hydraulic pump on the wrecker backwards though. The TC PTO also has a pump and draws oil from the drain plug boss to lube the transfer when in PTO operation.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My original M49A2C had both PTO's. Still does, but the front is not used at the moment. The transfer is used for my hydraulic pump (crane). It also has a linkage to the injection pump for keeping the rpm constant. It's linked to the so called auxilliary governor.
Bjorn

rice

When you change the transmission oil, you need to be sure to use the right one. I saw something posted awhile back on another forum, that if you use the wrong current production oil, one type is detrimental to bushings in these old transmissions. If I can find it I'll post it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To Kenneth and all others: Some time ago Clinto has asked an interesting question: "How do you know you have shimmed the PTO properly?" I wish I knew how! I've found all sorts of gasket material from just plain silicone to thick grey Asberit (0 to 1 mm) between tranny and PTO.

Gerhard

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PTO gaskets are sold in varying thickness. The combinaton of gaskets is how to obtain the clearance. What you have to do is take the inspection cover off the PTO. Bolt the PTO up with 1 gasket and all 6 stud nuts. Reach inside the PTO and put your finger on the gear that engages the transmission gears. Rock it back and forth, if it doesn't rock you need more gaskets or a thicker gasket. Input gear clearance should be between .0008 and .0012 inch. I've been doing them by feel for a long time without problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks