• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

swapping bell housings from 250 to 400???

grunex125

Here's a question for you guys that have put the 400 motor in your trucks, are you finding it necessary to swap your bell housings to fit your transmissions or are they the same bell housings on the 250 as the 400's?

what about the clutch plates vs. input shafts on the transmissions? are they larger or smaller splines? I know I've touched on this topic before, but please bear with me on this. it is a topic that interests me greatly, but there seems to be a lot of dispute on the subject from my local mechanics, and curiosity is killing this cat.....lol

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Input shaft should be the same, depends on the installed clutch disk which can be speced for what ever needed ( coarse/fine spline, thin/thick shaft) bell housing should bolt to a 400 855 block, I would use the 400 pressure plate though think the 250 will bolt up. now all this depends if the 400 had a auto or standard behind it, not sure if the auto and the standard have the same fly wheel, or if the torque converter is the fly wheel. If a standard was behind the 400 then everything "should" bolt up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks