• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping out bed for FMTV bed

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So there are currently a couple FMTV beds in good shape soon to be up for sale. Space is currently limited in the garage/driveway, but that begs the question

If one had a fairly rusty deuce bed in need of replacing/repair, would it be worth it to attempt to adapt one of these suckers onto the deuce?

(I believe the outer/inner dimensions are similar, only reason I'm asking tbh)

Last edited by a moderator:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest difference is the mounting system. To maintain proper flex you will need some c-channel under the bed. The c-channel will need to be set up like a sub frame to mount like the old deuce bed. I currently have a bed in my yard that I have looked at several times contemplating this swap. The LMTV bed just has a line of angle iron along the bottom. Hard to explain and I am out of town so no pics right now.

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest difference is the mounting system. To maintain proper flex you will need some c-channel under the bed. The c-channel will need to be set up like a sub frame to mount like the old deuce bed. I currently have a bed in my yard that I have looked at several times contemplating this swap. The LMTV bed just has a line of angle iron along the bottom. Hard to explain and I am out of town so no pics right now.
Thanks for the info, I have a pretty good visualization in my head of what you are talking about (I think) makes sense, either way I'm not chomping at the bit to do this as i just moved and currently have a severe lack of space until i get the garage setup/ power ran, just figured I'd make an inquiry as the bed dimensions seemed close/a newer bed with newer features & dropsides might be nice...

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you know the FMTV beds are 153" long. Which is around 9" longer than a deuce bed. You will have to shorten it. Or leave it be, which in my opinion would look awful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks