• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping rear springs out for new 1/2 ton springs

Timber

I'm going to rebuild the front end on my M1009 and install an ebay 3" 3/4 ton lift - spring front and block rear + new shocks all around. The 3/4 ton springs on front will be fine but for ride comfort I want new rear 1/2 ton springs. Has anyone tried it? I did the same on my civvy 79 2wd except we dropped it 2/2 and I got the new rear spings for it from Husky springs. I plan to call them next week, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it yet.

Timber

Nobody's turned one back into a half-ton? No biggie, I'll report back what I find out from Husky. I had a civilian K5 some years back with a 2.5" lift, 33x12.50s, and 15x10 wheels. I replaced the rear springs with some Rough Country OEM replacements (no longer available) and was amazed how well that suspension worked. I'm after the same good ride in this truck.

Timber

I called Husky, they need to know the number of springs in the pack and the length. Of course I'm 500+ miles from home and will be all week. If someone can provide that info, I'd appreciate it.

idM1028

Wikipedia says that "The M1009 was rated for a 1,200 pound payload" which would seem to put it in the 1/2 ton range, but at the same time "It used the heaviest duty GM springs available for the chassis and the rear axle was a 10-bolt unit." "Heaviest duty GM springs" would seem to point to 3/4 ton. Hmm. . . :-?

Timber

Here's what I got from a tech at Husky. The original springs are 1/2 ton springs but are rated at 2110 lbs and have 7" of free arch. They are also $408.92 each. Here are the options:

Part number: # of leaves: rated capacity: inches of free arch: price each:
22403 6 2350 lbs 6 3/4" $159.25
22553 6 1875 lbs 5 7/8" $146.27
22525 4 1290 lbs 7 3/4" $166.67
22613 5 1950 lbs 7 1/2" $237.56

Part number 22553 has a lighter rating, the lowest price, and is 1 1/8" lower. Going with a 3" spring lift in front will require a 4" block in the rear to keep it level. There will still be an 1/8" deficit but it won't be noticeable. Price-wise, that's even with an all spring lift but it is well tailored to what I want. I've replaced the rear springs on two other K5's I've modified and know this will work well. I'll post some pics when I start.

mr.travo

OUCH! Those springs must be gold plated! I am looking to get new OEM springs all the way around. At that price, I don't know though..... :(

Timber

The suspension and shocks will run right at a grand before rebuilding the front end. But it will pay big dividends on ride quality, steering, and overall road manners. And it will clear 33x12.50's to boot.:driver:

cucv1833

The suspension and shocks will run right at a grand before rebuilding the front end. But it will pay big dividends on ride quality, steering, and overall road manners. And it will clear 33x12.50's to boot.:driver:

Thats alot of money for a 3" lift. I just got a used 2.5" lift from my local offroad shop for $350 installed thats lift springs up front 6- shocks and lift blocks in the rear. It seems OK to me. I only needed 4- of the shocks.

My opinion if i were you i would just buy HD front lift springs and blocks for the rear and 4- shocks and see how you like it for half the cost. You can always buy rear leafs later.

Good luck

Look at this site for refernce shows prices and has 1/2T-3/4T options
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdWWaEaVOMFsAWyZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1dDFtNnAwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA01TWTAxMV8xNzg-/SIG=123o63t6d/EXP=1319469594/**http%3a//www.rockymountainsusp.com/GM73_91SUV.htm

Last edited:

Timber

Thats alot of money for a 3" lift. I just got a used 2.5" lift from my local offroad shop for $350 installed thats lift springs up front 6- shocks and lift blocks in the rear. It seems OK to me. I only needed 4- of the shocks.

My opinion if i were you i would just buy HD front lift springs and blocks for the rear and 4- shocks and see how you like it for half the cost. You can always buy rear leafs later.

Good luck

Look at this site for refernce shows prices and has 1/2T-3/4T options
Chevy GMC Blazer, Jimmy, Suburban suspension lift kits
I'm a little spoiled, I've done this once before on a 4x4 K5 and it works really well. I've also done this to my 79 2wd K5, love it. The after-market springs out there now give a great ride and perform better.

dmilkman589

the rear are half ton stock, and the fronts are half ton stock, the axles are also half ton. who ever says the drive train is beefted up on this rig from the government lies. there the same springs and axles that are in my half ton 87 chevy long bed

Timber

the rear are half ton stock, and the fronts are half ton stock, the axles are also half ton. who ever says the drive train is beefted up on this rig from the government lies. there the same springs and raxles that are in my half ton 87 chevy long bed
That may be gospel, I'm no MV guru and I haven't seen any part numbers for springs or any otherwise hard data there. But I have done this before and I do know how to buy the suspension I want - this one is a great recipe for a soft ride over 33x12.50's.

Last edited: