• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

swapping tires with locker in rear

coachgeo

someone mentioned that with locker its little harder swapping tires on locked axle cause you cant use the easy way to align the ctis bolt with the wheel about to go on (you just spin the hub in a no locker truck)... saw the below advertised at harbor freight. This might work to make life easier. there is more expensive versions out there. The larger rollers on it should allow you to spin tire on them for aligning lug holes. granted you would probably have to take it to your favorite welder / fabricator to cut it in quarters and splice in more metal to and make the whole thing bigger or just copy the design and make your own. Won't need the jacking part.

UPDATE...... well they apparently already sell such a gizmo for big rig truck tires..... who would have thought it was called a "tire dolley" see post nine down below ( https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...cker-in-rear&p=2164354&viewfull=1#post2164354 )

For use... could see putting the thing in front of hub on say a 2'x2'? plywood if needed..... roll the tire about to be installed up onto it. spin tire as needed to align holes.... roll the whole unit left or right etc. to line it up with hub then use two Poles thru two wheel holes fitted over lug bolt to lift and slide tire onto the hub ( as another user suggested in here). ok.... so that last part is not so easy but leverage should help as would a second person.

in below video .... as person jacks up using the "low jack"/pink version, you can see that the tubes the tire sit on do spin. Granted we would NOT be using them as they are designed for and shown in the video but instead just for aligning the wheel to install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bqRzcW340M

PS... if anyone recalls the size pipe to fit over lug bolts.... yet still fit thru the wheel holes.... please (pardon the pun) pipe in so that information is in this thread also.

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since I have the locker and have swapped at least 4 tires on the rear end if my truck trying to fix a vibration issue. I'm going to say that tool isn't needed. It would be a nice to have in a shop with a cement floor, but by the time I'd get it all set up, tire lifted on and so on. I'd have rolled the tire around and with a pry bar and 2x4 had lined up the bolt pattern and had torqued it down. Once I figured out a process that worked for me, it may take 2min longer than installing one without a locker, and it works in the field as well. If I were installing tires every day for profit then that tool would be money well spent. But for the occasional tire swap, I'd rather spend my money on something else for the truck. Also one could simply jack both rear tires off the ground and then spin the hub to align. I still need to swap mrap rims for Budd rims, now an affordable tool for that would be priceless

coachgeo

...have rolled the tire around and with a pry bar and 2x4 had lined up the bolt pattern ... Once I figured out a process that worked for me, it may take 2min longer than installing one without a locker, and it works in the field as well. ....
can I twist your arm to shoot video of your process? Myself weigh only buck fitty and both my shoulders need rebuilt from throwing and juggling 100lb million dollar live cargo in the air and catching it on the way down for 40 plus years.... so just trying to plan ahead for dealing with 400+lb tires with getting near useless arms lol.

jasonjc

We have one like the bottom one and its a pain in the ass to use. Never seems to by high enough. When you do get the tire on its in the way and/or your fighting with the kick stand to park it. The top one "seems" better.

coachgeo

We have one like the bottom one and its a pain in the ass to use. Never seems to by high enough. When you do get the tire on its in the way and/or your fighting with the kick stand to park it. The top one "seems" better.
Top one seems to have a fixed height though.

hmm.... maybe not.... below is similar one... and video does better job of showing how it is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRdMSLyAn7s

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks