• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping V-belts on a HMMWV

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started to swap out the 4 V-belts in my M998. The TM says "disconnect the quick connect on the front of the fan". Does one use wrenches or is it a push or pull connect? I followed the lines back to the power steering pump, so I assume it has hydraulic fluid in the line. I am trying to avoid losing all the fluid by taking the wrong approach on the "quick connect" line.

Any insight here?

Many thanks,
-Economist.

panzerwillie

Its a flare type thread so use a wrench will come apart, fluied usually does not come out at least on my it did not when i change the belts have fun:p

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The older humvee's had a flared fitting at the hyd. fan, but they now have a qiuck disconnect there so no fluid lose.

owensexport

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just hook the flared fitting back up, very little fluid will drain out and
it is a lot less trouble than changing to the quick disconnect
fitting.

xmiltm998

make sure that you bleed the air out of the steering system when all the lines are hooked back up. this will help your hyd cooling fan and keep it from engaging and disengaging at the proper time.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have tried a couple of different contortionist moves to get at this from the top of the shroud. Have any of you had better luck attacking from the bottom or do I just need to accept the fact that my forearms will take the brunt of the fan blades and forge ahead?

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats just how it is. Suck it up and do it. It will be over quickly...
Thanks for the moral support. I will report back after completing the torture test. Maybe we should reevaluate alternatives to water-boarding? Just send the detainees down to the motor pool!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I added the quick-release coupling to my truck many years ago. There was an MWO for it, to be applied at time of belt replacement to make later replacements easier. If I recall correctly, I got the parts from a now-defunct HMMWV surplus parts dealer. If I had to do it again, I'd see if Kaskar has the parts at a reasonable price, or just get some suitable hydraulic QD fittings from an industrial supplier like McMaster-Carr. They're probably common hydraulic fittings. I haven't looked at mine in a decade, so I don't recall what style they are.

gem1410

I will go to the local hose guy tomorrow and get the quick release--I have the radiators out so it is an easy job--my truck is an early 1026 with the 6.2--the belts have no numbers on them so thanks Ted for the numbers--

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Economist--I want to replace my belts also--where did you get your belts and what are the numbers--thanks
Sorry for not getting back. I have been traveling and out of contact for a bit. TedG got you what you need. I am actually going a different path and swapping out my drive train. So, I never got to swapping out the v-belts.

Good luck!
-Economist.

make sure that you bleed the air out of the steering system when all the lines are hooked back up. this will help your hyd cooling fan and keep it from engaging and disengaging at the proper time.
Is it necessary to bleed the power steering system when doing the V-belt swap?
If a little air gets in would it not just make it's way out through the reservoir eventually?

orgnal

I am looking to replace belts on my m998 6.5L GEP. Can some of you good people confirm the part numbers for me ?

Alternator belts (matched set) - NSN: 3030-01-282-6968 ; Part Number: 12339359-12

Fan-Water Pump-Power steering belts (matched set) - NSN: 3030-00-379-2815; Part Number: 12339359-15

Thank you in advance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks