• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping V-belts on a HMMWV

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The matched set thing is a thing of the past...just buy new belts at Napa, I personally have never had an issue, nor do they sell them matched, you can try and get them to match but I find the stock is mixed from different order dates or just pulling them from the box and stocking them in whatever order they want.

roadsofa

Subscribing to this thread. I'll be doing it next weekend.
I believe the fitting on my '87 was a 15mm. I found the tensioning of the belts to be a little challenging. You have to loosen the bottom bolts of the alternator (front and back) and loosen the top bracket bolt and also the bolt in the adjustable area of the bracket. I took the adjustable bolt out completely when I tensioned the power steering belts, this let's the alternator pivot freely. On the power steering pump, the bracket for the alternator is attached to the same bracket. I took out the back bottom bolt completely and loosed the front two. There is a square hole in the power steering bracket to put a 1/2" drive ratchet in, but I found I could get any tension using that. I ended up flipping the generator toward the engine and used a ratchet strap to pull tension between the two until I had about a 1/2" or so of deflection on the power steering belts, that didn't feel too tight. I was mindful that with dual belts there is a lot of force on the bearings. After snugging the power steering bolts, the alternator belts are easy. After I run it a while, I'll recheck the belt tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruSSrt

I believe the fitting on my '87 was a 15mm. I found the tensioning of the belts to be a little challenging. You have to loosen the bottom bolts of the alternator (front and back) and loosen the top bracket bolt and also the bolt in the adjustable area of the bracket. I took the adjustable bolt out completely when I tensioned the power steering belts, this let's the alternator pivot freely. On the power steering pump, the bracket for the alternator is attached to the same bracket. I took out the back bottom bolt completely and loosed the front two. There is a square hole in the power steering bracket to put a 1/2" drive ratchet in, but I found I could get any tension using that. I ended up flipping the generator toward the engine and used a ratchet strap to pull tension between the two until I had about a 1/2" or so of deflection on the power steering belts, that didn't feel too tight. I was mindful that with dual belts there is a lot of force on the bearings. After snugging the power steering bolts, the alternator belts are easy. After I run it a while, I'll recheck the belt tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate you posting that. That definitely will save me time.
Thank you very much!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks