• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swench for wheel torque?

cornrichard

I recently purchased a model 750 swench off of ebay. I really like it. It makes breaking lug nuts loose easy. I also like not throwing my back out when 6 foot of cheater lets go all at once. I plan to use it to put the lugs back on. The swench manual says to count the number of times the unit hammers breaking loose the fastener. You retorque with one more hammer blow. I am sure no one has ever used a torque wrench on the wheels of my deuce. Is there a baseline guess of spring setting and number of hammers other swench owners use?

deathrowdave

Smoke Torque ---- Defined as tighten until it Smokes !!! German Tight --- Defined as GOOTANDTIGHT !!!! I think lug nuts shuold be 400 FT LB of torque .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have no way of getting a reference, better rent or borrow a torque wrench. That way you won't stress or break anything. Put on a lug nut to a specific torque, then use the swench to remove it. That would be your reference. I would use a few torque values to see if there is a torque "curve" to the swench. Scribble your findings down and you'll have a rough guide to go by.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It my take more to take off then what the correct torque calls for because of rust, over tightening, and other reasons, the best way as GIMP said, pull the lugs, CLEAN all the threads, reinstall dry and check torque.

As a side note, most truck tire shops have torque LIMITTING extensions for there impacts, these come in different colors for different toques

LanceRobson

My son and I have a couple of Swenches and I've never really thought about using them to torque down things because we have big torque wrenches. I'd guess that the torque setting scale on the wrench or the number of impacts would be far too inexact to use without a good starting reference.

If you do use the number of impacts, I think that the setting on the Swench would have to be the same each time you use it. Maybe you should scribe a fine reference mark at the torque setting you use so you can better approximate it later.

I've noted that even when all the treads (inside and outside) are clean that some nuts go on and come off easier than others. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable not using a torque wrench. Using the "same number of impacts" thing would only really work if you keep track of each stud's required number of impacts and made sure you put the same nut back on it.

BTW, you can clean the inside threads by chucking a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brush in a cordless drill. Flush any grease or anti-seize compound out first.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks