• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swing away tire carier?

MerkWork

I have search to no end. I am looking to get one of the swing away tire carriers i keep seeing everywhere. Just can't seem to locate a source. If someone could please post a link or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
It's hard to build draws in the trunk area with a big mud tire in the way!!!

MerkWork

M1009...bumper mounted tire carrier is what I am looking for! And trunk would refer to rear cargo space(sorry)! BTW your cucv makes me drool!

Mohawk Dave

I'm not much help on this question as I will be building one that swings on a Dana 44 snout off a new bumper. But like NCBloodhound said, check that forum. More mods there than here.

Thanks for the compliment. I will be building the rear bumper next.

-Dave

p.S. as far as drawers go, I thought about a pack rat from Weatherguard or Knacck. Might find a used one on craigslist or something for a good deal. Good luck.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to try and modify the mounting tabs for the swing away carrier from a Bronco or S10 Blazer. May have to fabricate the mounting points and hinges. If anything, it may make for a template to make a whole new one? Don't know...yet.

Last edited:

edpdx

Merkwork,

I looked for commercial carriers and found none that were reasonable. I just kept an eye on the wrecking yard and I found one on a Pathfinder. The bumper was real heavy duty and this aftermarket carrier has a pin that sinks into the bumper, then latches on the driver side- 2 points only. The bumper on my M1009 is not strong enough to handle a bouncing load for too long without bending something, so I added a steel tubing (3/16") to set the carrier in.

I have my Blazer apart for painting; but I'll post pics when it is back up and installed.

I advise you to prowl the wrecking yard regularly with this type of mod in mind.

jesusgatos

The best swing-away tire carrier I've ever come across, OEM or aftermarket, was... on an H2. They're beefy, don't wiggle or rattle at all, they're already set-up for a 35" 8-lug wheel/tire, and they're easy to adapt to any custom bumper (plus the mounting points have integral recovery shackles).

CGSDarkstar

Anyone try these?

I have been looking for a M1009 swing out tire carrier for awhile and have considered fabing one up myself, but this one looks good and has the options I am looking for (gas cans, hitch accommodation, D-rings, and of course the swing out tire). Let me know your thoughts.
MultiCarrier Series II

Thanks

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

For the record back in the 70's and early 80's you could get a dealer installed body mounted swing away tire carrier sorta like Bronco's had.

Only problem is that, like the Bronco's, it fatigued the body and would eventually lead to cracking. It's worse in the GM's because the body was not designed with this in mind. These swing away carriers are rare and uncommon today. Even rarer with all their parts, especially the backing plates that are supposed to go on the back side of the body behind the sheetmetal.

Far better off with a heavy duty bumper and a tire carrier mounted to it. Only problem is unless you can fab or know someone who can fab then you're paying someone else for the materials, fab work, time, parts, and then shipping. Not cheap.

That said, I recommend DIY4x. Good people.

AJMBLAZER

I have the factory one. Or at least it looks factory. Haven't found anyone to confirm if it was or wasn't. Have a lead on a second one and I'm going to get it for my Suburban.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/64036-rear-tire-carrier-installed-my-m1009.html
That's not factory. It was a dealer installed option you could get through your dealer but separate of GM's factory options installed in Flint, MI when the truck was built.

I have a rear roll bar waiting to be installed into my K5. Came out of a 1978 K5 Blazer sold new with it from a dealer in Knoxville, TN but it's not a factory part.
I think at some point the tire carriers were sold separately directly to the public. I have seen pictures of one someone found new in the box somewhere and the box and packaging looked like it was meant for sales, not the mechanics at a GM dealership.

Last edited: