• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swing away tire carier?

CGSDarkstar

Well i pulled the trigger and ordered it from Tactical Armor Group. Luckily they are just down the road from me and talked to the owner today and he's going to incorporate the pintle hitch and the blackout lights. Should get it by the weekend and will post some pics.

indy4x4fab

Banned
TireGate.com - The Ultimate Spare Tire Carriers!

Here's one way of doing a swing away spare tire carrier, that one of the guys on ck5.com did, I'm surprised that know one posted the site on here yet. The guy did have to trip the right side bar down a bit to drop the gate down but over all it was a really nice set up, as long as you have a reese hitch.

Attachments

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Only problem with that is it messes with your ability to tow.
Hum yes and no, It does have a 2'' receiver tube built in to it so that you could pull a small trailer like a m101 still but You probley wouldn't want to load it to toung heavy. but for camping and that it would be perfect.

AJMBLAZER

My problem is you're messing with the tow rating. K5's are fairly limited already. So this adds more variables for oddness.

How's this thing attached to the existing hitch? A pin or something? Maybe a bolt? After that I don't want to put a ton or more of weight on a regular tongue with it's own pin. Just adding too many variables to me.

A small fishing boat on a tiny trailer? Sure. My utility trailer with a ton of weight in it? Not me, no thanks.

86M10086.2L

Plus, I doubt the tiregate would clear the shackles on a M1008 or M1009 bumper. I want one for my M1008 and considered the tire gate myself. But for the money they ask. I can build a much nicer one for less. or nicer to me anyway. Just trying to work out the design now as to not block or have to remove any factory hardware. I'd put one in the bed but I dont want to loose any of my troop seats. The pictures are of the one I originally made. Would've been fine for road or light wheeling use. But it didn't hold up on my multiple wheeling trips. Need a beefier setup that doesnt restrict or block the trailer hitch.

Attachments

Last edited:

tequilaiam

I have the factory one. Or at least it looks factory. Haven't found anyone to confirm if it was or wasn't. Have a lead on a second one and I'm going to get it for my Suburban.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/64036-rear-tire-carrier-installed-my-m1009.html

Can you tell me how that is mounted to the body? A backing plate?

I grabbed what looks like that exact mount in a scrap yard for its weight in steel (whoo-hoo) but it has cast flanges that curve around the body of a civy C10 or so pickup. So it doesn't fit exactly to the 1009. I'll have to fab something up and was wondering how that sheet metal holds up to the weight when swung out.

AJMBLAZER

Can you tell me how that is mounted to the body? A backing plate?

I grabbed what looks like that exact mount in a scrap yard for its weight in steel (whoo-hoo) but it has cast flanges that curve around the body of a civy C10 or so pickup. So it doesn't fit exactly to the 1009. I'll have to fab something up and was wondering how that sheet metal holds up to the weight when swung out.
For the record back in the 70's and early 80's you could get a dealer installed body mounted swing away tire carrier sorta like Bronco's had.

Only problem is that, like the Bronco's, it fatigued the body and would eventually lead to cracking. It's worse in the GM's because the body was not designed with this in mind. These swing away carriers are rare and uncommon today. Even rarer with all their parts, especially the backing plates that are supposed to go on the back side of the body behind the sheetmetal.

Far better off with a heavy duty bumper and a tire carrier mounted to it. Only problem is unless you can fab or know someone who can fab then you're paying someone else for the materials, fab work, time, parts, and then shipping. Not cheap.

That said, I recommend DIY4x. Good people.
Note that was also with factory 29-31" tires. Anything larger makes it worse.

They mount by bolting through holes in the body to backing plates with captured nuts behind the body.

Problem is the body was never meant to support weight like that and after a while the metal fatigues, cracks, and possibly tears.

Pickups have the same rear fender/body profile as K5's. If yours doesn't fit on your K5 then it's not meant for a 73-87 (91) GM fullsize.

Last edited:

tequilaiam

Pickups have the same rear fender/body profile as K5's. If yours doesn't fit on your K5 then it's not meant for a 73-87 (91) GM fullsize.
How do the CUCV bumpers match to the civy ones? I found the thing sitting in a truck I was tearing up for donor parts and everything else was the same. As I was test fitting it, it looked like it would mate up if the CUCV bumper was lower. Hard to tell as it could have been bent while in that wrecking yard.

AJMBLAZER

CUCV trucks got the standard truck step bumper while CUCV K5's got the standard "appearance" style bumper that civilian K5's and some high zoot half ton trucks got.

Other than the holes in the bumpers for the D ring brackets the CUCV's use standard GM bumpers.

My money's on that tire carrier isn't meant for a Chevy if it doesn't seem to fit correctly.

jesusgatos

The best swing-away tire carrier I've ever come across, OEM or aftermarket, was... on an H2. They're beefy, don't wiggle or rattle at all, they're already set-up for a 35" 8-lug wheel/tire, and they're easy to adapt to any custom bumper (plus the mounting points have integral recovery shackles).
Just cut one of those H2 swingaway carriers to build a new rear bumper and tire carrier for a little minivan and my buddy used another one to build a tire carrier for an M1009 (sorry, no pics of that one).

CGSDarkstar

So i got my new tire carrier about 2 weeks ago, but have been too busy getting ready for christmas and driving the M1009 from GA to VA to take some pictures, but here they are. The guys at the Tactical Armor Group out did themselves. It took an extra week to get it done, but overall I am very pleased with the construction and attention to detail (blackout lights fit but may have to move the jack). We had a few customization issues with the fit of the jack holder and the tailgate tension bars, but it was quickly remedied. Now i just have to paint those gas cans . . .

Darkstar

Attachments

Last edited:

jdeoliveira74

So i got my new tire carrier about 2 weeks ago, but have been too busy getting ready for christmas and driving the M1009 from GA to VA to take some pictures, but here they are. The guys at the Tactical Armor Group out did themselves. It took an extra week to get it done, but overall I am very pleased with the construction and attention to detail (blackout lights fit but may have to move the jack). We had a few customization issues with the fit of the jack holder and the tailgate tension bars, but it was quickly remedied. Now i just have to paint those gas cans . . .

Darkstar
very nice what was the cost???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks