• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

switch to soft top

tm america

i put a soft top on mine . went through all the stuff to round up the parts.. put it on once realized it was just as hard to take off as the hard top so i sold the soft top ...

eagle4g63

If you weren't so far away, I would trade you my entire soft top and hardware for the hard in a heart beat. Just don't want to go through all the trouble of shipping everything. It wasn't bad going without the top the one time I did it, but up here I think I would rather the hard top come winter!

Akicita

Kublos Surplus in Brackney, PA,
Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia, PA,
Saturn Surplus in the PA Dutch Country
and many other dealers can help you.

If you want a softtop because you want to go topless in summer,
think again. In my opinion, it takes much longer to take the top
off than is practical for a quick drive into town.

MacGowan

I got my soft top from armytrucksrus on ebay - $170 new

The complete soft top frame from Idahomotorpool - $150

The top is tan, as you can see in the photo, and the frame is OD... soon to be black, or tan.

Getting the hard top off was a p.i.t.a because it was painted/rusted on, but after cutting a few bolts and a bit of prying it was fairly easy to remove it myself. (my hard top had a significant amount of hail damage and 'people sitting on it' damage)

Putting the soft top on for the first time was interesting and it required the assistance of my sister. She held one side of the top while I pulled it through the groove above the front window - used a little WD-40 to help it along (per Warthog's advice). The rest was a piece of cake.

I've taken it off a few times now to enjoy the spring weather, and it's no problem - takes about 5 minutes to put on and about the same to take it off.

Good luck, brother!

James

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MacGowan,

These bows from the rear frame to the top of the front window (your first pic), which keep the soft top up, are these standard or home-made? My truck has a soft top but no bows. The new canvas OD-colored soft top I bought also did not included them.

MacGowan

MacGowan,

These bows from the rear frame to the top of the front window (your first pic), which keep the soft top up, are these standard or home-made? My truck has a soft top but no bows. The new canvas OD-colored soft top I bought also did not included them.
They were a "take-off" from another Deuce - all is OEM. If you look at the top "pipe" where the "bows" fit into you should see three mounting holes. There are also three mounting holes on top of your windshield frame. On the other hand, you have a 5 ton, so it may be a bit different. Some of the other 5 ton owners here would know for sure...

James

emr

I agree with Macgowen , its easier and much more versatile , at first and even later a hand helps, but not needed after a few times, stores in truck easier out of way for that sudden downpour [thumbzup] I am a rag top guy all the way ...

Jake0147

They were a "take-off" from another Deuce - all is OEM. If you look at the top "pipe" where the "bows" fit into you should see three mounting holes. There are also three mounting holes on top of your windshield frame. On the other hand, you have a 5 ton, so it may be a bit different. Some of the other 5 ton owners here would know for sure...

James

I believe at some point in the service life of the M44 platform, those were introduced. There was an MWO with instructions for how to drill those holes. Newer hardware came with them. At least that's how I understand it.
There was also something (Might not have been a MWO, maybe Connie said it?) about adding holes and extra bows towards the outside edges, nearer to the doors. I don't recall if that was rearranging the three bows, or if it was adding additional ones...
All of this was unit level stuff.... So whatever you do and wherever your drill happens to fall and however deep you choose to make the holes would probably be quite authentic, even if not technically correct.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info, I will get some bows and drill some holes myself then, probably will help prolong the life of the top

bjsmith

if someone close wants to trade thats even better mine is solid od in color looking for same or od camo soft top in good condition. the reason i want soft top is to me seems to be easier to take off by myself

MacGowan

I believe at some point in the service life of the M44 platform, those were introduced. There was an MWO with instructions for how to drill those holes. Newer hardware came with them. At least that's how I understand it.
There was also something (Might not have been a MWO, maybe Connie said it?) about adding holes and extra bows towards the outside edges, nearer to the doors. I don't recall if that was rearranging the three bows, or if it was adding additional ones...
All of this was unit level stuff.... So whatever you do and wherever your drill happens to fall and however deep you choose to make the holes would probably be quite authentic, even if not technically correct.
Hmmm... I'm not a Deuce expert, and certainly don't pretend to be. With that said, my Deuce came with a hard top (I understand that doesn't mean it was original), but upon removing the hard top I found the three holes necessary to install the soft top. There was rust everywhere you'd expect EXCEPT for the soft top mounting holes - doesn't look as though they were ever used. My Deuce is a '67, so perhaps the M44 platform was changed to provide the soft top option prior to '67? Thanks for the info Jake.

I wonder if the 'options' varied from manufacturer to manufacturer? Oh well, drilling a few holes is pretty darned easy:cool:

Robo McDuff: If you need some measurements just let me know - the Deuce is right out front and easily accessible.

James