• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Switch WhaleTail parking brake out

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see there is a newer style brake handle online right now. I have a whaletail style. Am I over thinking it that switching them out is just unbolt, unhook, do the reverse?

Thanks

wilfreeman

If you change to the newer style, you will have to change the cable also - they are different. I also hear that the newer style catches the seat of your pants when entering/exiting the truck.

wilfreeman

Are you talking about the cable gimp? The cable has a grease fitting for the whale tail type, but the lever doesn't. The new style lever is greaseable - I don't know about the cable.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like its not worth doing, the whale works its just that i catch the whale one more then the newer one in the other truck.

MikeON

I have the whale tail brake handle and it is very hair-triggered. The slightest tap when getting in or out of the truck releases the brake. The designer should have put the release on the bottom of the handle instead of the top. I've collected all the components to convert to the new handle except the bracket 16. Does anyone know a source for this, or can provide a few basic dimensions so I can make one? I believe it is part 11647728, NSN 2530-00-033-5252. Thanks.

Capture.JPG

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the whale-tail is grease-able and new style isn't also.
Correct. Some of the whale tail parking brake cables had grease fittings. The new style "lock over center" parking brake cables are not greaseable. When I put a new cable in my truck, I sprayed some teflon grease down the cable and worked it back and forth for quite a while. PM is huge with anything.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you change to the newer style, you will have to change the cable also - they are different. I also hear that the newer style catches the seat of your pants when entering/exiting the truck.
I have not had a big issue with the handle catching my pants in my deuce. I also have a spring seat for what its worth. Just always be careful and if you are in a sensitive situation where the parking brake is critical, just take your time getting out and be careful. I think any situation where you need a parking brake in a critical situation you want to be careful with everything anyway.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like its not worth doing, the whale works its just that i catch the whale one more then the newer one in the other truck.
I upgraded my M109A3 to the new style. The whale tale parking break did not apply that much force to the parking brake as the new style. Plus mechanically, I think the new style is more reliable because there are no ratcheting teeth to wear out and you can apply more force on the cable with less effort allowing more users to apply the parking brake easier and with better consistency.

In my M35A2, I have the M35A3 parking brake light on the dash also. It makes it very nice to see visually on the dash when my parking brake is on. Just a nice extra visual aid to be situation aware of the truck I guess.

RAYZER

I have both and like the whale tail better, it feels more positive for hold when you can get that 1 extra click on it.
They both are prone to getting knocked off.
You could also figure a way to put an anti knock off pin in it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks