• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

swollen glow plug tool

84cucv1ton

i have a otc 6005. lost a part of it. so been trying to find one on ebay. no luck. the one i have now has the spacers that go in back and pull it out on the threads?

is there a better one? thanks

acmunro

I've had good luck with my OTC, But I almost lost half of it. I wish it didn't come all the way apart. Did you ever locate that wiring harness ?

stump

you can make the tool with a fine thread nut cut in half and a small hose clamp. I made my own spacers using other nuts put on first and just turned the glowplug out. I have also had them break off and then had to use modified needle nose plyers bent the end to 90 and ground down the sides. On one ocation could not remove the end and was told that the 6.2 has forged pistons and just started it up and it chewed the glow plug up and spit in out. I didnt like that but its what we did then. sounded real bad but ran fine in about 1 min. try as last resort at own risk. worked in a military shop had lots of spairs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can make the tool with a fine thread nut cut in half and a small hose clamp. I made my own spacers using other nuts put on first and just turned the glowplug out. I have also had them break off and then had to use modified needle nose plyers bent the end to 90 and ground down the sides. On one ocation could not remove the end and was told that the 6.2 has forged pistons and just started it up and it chewed the glow plug up and spit in out. I didnt like that but its what we did then. sounded real bad but ran fine in about 1 min. try as last resort at own risk. worked in a military shop had lots of spairs.

The glow plugs are a M10x1.0mm thread. That is not a common nut to find, to make your own removal tool.

appnut1

As i have posted before when I worked for GM the instructors taught us that the broken tip can not come out of the pre chamber in the head and cause any damage, therefore there was no need to fish for it. You unscrew the glow plug, wiggle it back and forthe to break off the tip and screw in the new one and off you go down the road

ClockworkSkin

Do you have a picture of that homemade tool? I think I'm visualizing it correctly, but I really want to do this the right way and not make bigger problems for myself.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
here's the otc tool. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc6005.html

to make a home made one, find the correct thread nut, and cut it in half. Instead of hinging it like the otc tool is, just put the 2 halves on the threads and hold them there with a hoseclamp or boxend wrench. Not the easiest thing to do, but it will work.

btw, Put a clean blue tarp under the truck, you'll be picking up your nut halves, a few times!

raiburn

The one on Ebay for $75 worked on all 5 of mine that were swollen.
It was slow going, but they all came out without breaking. Also, I was able to get the truck started with the three new ones i could get out, then drove around to warm up the swollen ones, hoping that the metal would be more pliable when hot. So, none of them broke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks