• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sylvania Silverstar Installation

cmroles

I just wanted to post some findings from a little experiment I did the other day. As we all know the M1009 headlights are adequate, but not what you would call "bright".

I decided to test out the claims made by Sylvania that their "Silverstar" line of headlights is 35% brighter than standard halogen.

As a job I install professional video equipment in commercial venues. Because of this I have access to various test equipment for measuring brightness, color, etc.

To start with, my M1009 had relatively new (only a few months old) standard Halogen headlights ($10.99 each). I measured the standard headlights on low-beam with a LUX-meter and measured 480 lux.

I then installed the new Silverstar headlights ($19.99 each) and was able to measure 650 lux. Based on these numbers there was actually a 35% increase in measured light output. In addition, the color-temperature is higher giving a "whiter" light on top of the brightness.

Just my 2cents, but next time you need to change your headlights the extra $10.00 each is worth it.

cmroles

Do the silverstar draw any additional amps?
I have standard lightd but am having issues with fuse blowing....
don't want to overload anymore
That's actually something I haven't gotten around to testing yet. I have the gauge cluster out today, so if its put back together tomorrow I'll try to get a reading.

I checked the specs on the new bulbs and according to Sylvania they are 55W on Low Beam. On a 12V system this should work out to about 4.6A per light.

If you are blowing fuses it is most likely a short to ground somewhere. I would suspect a wire somewhere (possibly in the front headlight harness) that has missing insulation. Could be touching the chassis and causing the circuit to overload.

Brad M

Nice research, thanks for writing it up.

I had had them in a previous car and liked them so about a month ago I put them in my M1008 and am happy with them.

OL AG '89

I been tracing the headlight wiring each time I blow a fuse....
have found some "worn" spots but nothing showing stripped insulation...
I sure it will be the last place I look!! LOL

cmroles

I been tracing the headlight wiring each time I blow a fuse....
have found some "worn" spots but nothing showing stripped insulation...
I sure it will be the last place I look!! LOL
While repairing some other wiring under the hood, I found a few patches of wire where the insulation had dried out and "flaked" off. There were a couple exposed conductors because of this. I spliced in some new wire to avoid future issues.

It may also be worth checking out the headlight switch and the wiring harness that goes to it.

I've had to deal with a few electrical shorts before and its usually the biggest PITA to track one down...

OL AG '89

I "was once an electrician" and now I'm not!!!
electrical issues on these old trucks are a MAJOR headache and as you fix one another crops up..
I have considered rewiring the entire vehicle, but I'm having way too much driving to put out of commission for as long as it would take me to rewire....
I'll just deal with each as they occur.

Dodgeman1941

We've been running SliverStars in my boy's 009 for a couple of years now with no problem. I'm planning on doing something simular to LMC's headlight relay system.

Flyingvan911

I use them in my van and they are very bright. The only downside is they burn out a little faster than standard bulbs but the brighter light outweighs the earlier replacement.