• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Symptoms of bad Glow Plug Card?

Jack Lope

While driving, after the truck should already be warmed up, the glow plug relay will click on for a few seconds, then click off. Sometimes it will click on/off repeatedly very rapidly with the voltmeter needle bouncing all over the place. I see the voltmeter dropping about 12v's which is what it normally does when glow plugs are lit. The glow plug relay looks fairly new, but I haven't replaced it since owning the truck. I'm wondering if this is a sign of the glow plug card going out. It's been doing this for a while, but seems to have gradually gotten worse. This sound familiar to any one?

Last edited:

Jack Lope

Maybe the card is doing an after-glow cycle? Perhaps the temp sensor is bad, making the card think the engine is still cold?
Hmm! This is interesting! I'll check with NAPA and find out how much one of those are. It seems I'm going to have to start replacing something.

Jack Lope

I was getting out of the truck just now and noticed a little new (as in wasn't there before) blue something on the floor. Picked it up and it was a cap! Pulled the card and there's an empty spot for it. The cap looks in good shape so if I can determine which side is (+) as indicated on the board, I'll solder it back in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jack Lope

Dr. Frankenstein would be proud! Now to go plug it back in and see if it works/fixes my problem. In the pic, it looks like the bottom post might be shorted to the other trace, but it's not.

Attachments

PJL

Good catch! The black stripe with the arrow pointing down is the negative lead. Just like the other one that's still attached. And by the way electrolytic capacitor failure is very common in all electronic devices. If you see one that has swelled or leaking fluid it's gone bad. I was given a nice flat panel TV not long ago. Wouldn't turn on. Took it apart and found one bad cap on the power supply board. Couple bucks later and I got a working TV.

MarcusOReallyus

And by the way electrolytic capacitor failure is very common in all electronic devices. If you see one that has swelled or leaking fluid it's gone bad..
And even if it's not swelled or leaking or has any other obvious signs, it could still be bad.

Jack Lope

When I soldered that capacitor back on, it did fix my problem. Maybe check to see if you have a lose capacitor.

MarcusOReallyus

Lose rhymes with booze.

Loose rhymes with goose.

Since you found your capacitor on the floor, you didn't lose it, but it was loose, so you soldered it.