• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Synthetic oil

emr

Simple, lighter oil more noise heavier 15/40 less noise , an older a motor gets, especially a big loose one the heavier oil it can take , lighter oils are for newer and tight motors so they have a good lube at start up, meaning the oil is in the tight spots fast, heavier oil needs time to warm up to flow in tight spots , your motor is being lubed just fine with the 30, but if its noise u are concerned with use a heavier one, oh and of course temp has alot to do with oil but 30 or 15/40 is good for most. most will ever see, oil is simple dont make it more than it is is my opinion... :) oh i also like lucas... :) Oil is always a good thread.

Nonotagain

Well, to muddy the waters a little further, Shell Rotella is available in a T6 fully synthetic version, T5 the synthetic blend and an all dino versions of T, T1 and T3.
Shell Rotella® - Shell Rotella

Oil isn't just oil when it comes to diesel engines. You need the correct API classification for your engine. For older diesels, it isn't much of a problem, but Cummins ISB and 2 stroke Detroit engines all call out different specifications for their oil requirements.

The biggest issues with diesel motor oils are that they need to keep large amounts of solids in suspension as well as resisting the corrosive effects of the sulfur that still resides in diesel fuel.

I use either Rotella T6 or Mobil Delvac in my generators since they don't get much use between oil changes and need to be viscose enough to flow in the winter as well as the heat of the summer.

There is something to be said for being able to drive down to the local Wally World and purchase oil at close to 50% off of the price that the authorized distributor charges.

SMOKEWAGON66

I dont know about Rotella, BUT when i was driving Semi's we used only Chevron Delo 400 as advised by the previous owner. Worked great. Got the oil changed at a deal that shall remain nameless, and asked specifically for Delo 400..they assured me they put it in there....my Cat 3406E would have begged to differ...she started knocking, vibrating, leaking and smoking. I mentioned it to my boss, who quickly went and got me 11 gallons of Delo, we changed it, and what do you know, back to normal....i SWEAR by Delo 15W40....when i got my deuce home from barstow, i looked at the black sludge they called oil on the dipstick and decided to change it straight away...with Delo of course lol....what a difference...the engine smoothed out ALOT, smoked less, and stopped making awful noises....runs like a champ now. So for eveything i won, besides my Diesel car, i use Chevron Delo 400 CJ4....

FloridaAKM

I use Kendall Super D III with the titanium stuff they put in it now in 15w40 with no problems in the Deuce I have; also in the Diesel gensets. Its just a choice I made @ the time last year.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
from my notes
Decreased levels of ZDDP are 100% related to flat tappet camshaft wear and failures. ALL of the people in the engine industry know this. EVERY major camshaft manufacturer has issued bulletins on this with the warning to use ZDDP fortified oil or a ZDDP supplement or else you will ruin the cam and lifters. Point blank-It's either run a oil with ZDDP to keep your cam alive or upgrade to a roller cam setup that doesn't "require" the higher level of ZDDP. Even then, I'm a tad skeptical because there's a whole bunch of friction between the lifter's rollers and cam lobes when you are running valve springs with a lot of tension, as is typical in a roller setup, especially with a solid roller cam-they run very stiff springs. Play it safe and run a ZDDP fortified oil for maximum protection regardless if it's a flat or roller cam. Oil is cheap, tearing apart a engine and replacing parts isn't.

Yes, diesel oil has had its ZDDP levels reduced in the past couple of years, but ZDDP is still in there at levels 3-4 times what is in API certified "gasoline" motor oil. Diesel oil for the time being is a excellent way to get ZDDP if you don't want to pay a premium price for boutique oils like Brad Penn, Royal Purple, etc. I run Shell Rotella 5W40 diesel oil in all of my flat tappet cam engines, a 1997 Jeep 4.0 6cyl being the latest model engine to use it.
more The maximum amount of anti-wear additive (ZDDP) is capped by API/ILSAC depending on viscosity and the API/ILSAC rating of the oil. In general, the API SM oils are going to be capped at 800 parts per million (ppm), while the older API SL allows up to 1,100 ppm. Most of our [royal purple] engine oils have retained an API SL rating and we generally treat at or near the allowable level. The limit for viscosity grade of 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50 have a higher allowable level of 1,200 – 1,300 ppm. The XPR oils contain in excess of 1,900 ppm of ZDDP anti-wear additive.​

Last edited:

rustystud

I've been using Delo-400 Full Synthetic oil with a "ZDDP" additive thrown in for a long time now. None of the engine oils today really have enough of the "ZDDP" to work properly with flat tappets. All diesel engines made today have roller lifters. Also most all new diesel trucks have a catalytic converter now. So oil manufacturers do not make a oil for diesels with flat tappets. Not enough market for them.

rustystud

post 31 in here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8094-15w-40-Rotella-Vs-30-weight-oil

Does any have AERA bulletin # TB2333 from March 2006?
The problem is that report is 7 years old now. All new oils manufactured today only meet the needs of Modern diesel engines. These engines all have roller cams and therefore do not need the extra protection of a
"ZDDP" additive like our older Military engines do. I used to be able to buy diesel engine oil that still meet the requirements for our engines. The last 4 years I haven't been able to find any. Any engine oil that says it meets the "New EPA rating" or is "environmentally safe" does not have enough Zinc to help lubricate our cams.

rustystud

002.jpg Any oil that also says "excellent emission control system life" needs a "ZDDP" additive. This is from the back of a Delo- 400 Full Synthetic oil container.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is also about ATSM D2896 + D4739 and I would appreciate it if any SS members that can peruse these documents for information about this lube oil thread please post information regarding this thread and our engines. I can not afford these documents.
Another thought is that soot coming out of the stack tells me that the total base number (TBN) of the oil in the crankcase has lost its ability to control the acid formed or the fuel being burnt is very high in non-combustable solids creating the little soot rocks. I see higher TBN towards 15 being good and lower is headed to NG. One can wikipedia the acronym TBN, good information presented there for free, although I pay them.
All this being driven by emisions regulations. I found some news about PC11 which is food for research.
The latest dated 02272015 can be found at
http://www.forconstructionpros.com/article/12038862/industry-update-engine-oil-proposed-category-11-pc-11
but I post it here in case that "goes away" into the black hole.

Industry Update: Engine Oil Proposed Category 11 (PC-11)

ARTICLE JAN 27, 2015
In 2010, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced regulations designed to reduce the level of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and mandate fuel economy improvements for medium and heavy-duty engines and vehicles.
To be phased in between 2014 to 2018, the new regulations would impose different fuel-efficiency targets based on the size and weight of vehicle types. Vehicles impacted include combination tractor and trailers; pickup trucks, buses, vans and vocational service vehicles.
To address engine oil requirements of vehicles designed to meet the NHTSA standards, the Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) made a request for the American Petroleum Institute (API) to develop a new commercial engine oil performance category. That new category has been dubbed Proposed Category 11, or PC-11 for short. The current commercial engine oil performance category, API CJ-4 (once known as PC-10), was first made available in October 2006. It will have been in the market for 10 years by the time PC-11 is released. API CJ-4 and earlier API performance categories were created to address improved engine durability and the needs of technologies introduced to reduce exhaust emissions. Diesel engine oil changes to address improved fuel economy are a new dimension.
The official category name for the new oil (similar to CJ-4) will be determined prior to its actual release. The first engine oils meeting PC-11 will be licensed under the new category name March 1, 2017.
Video: Heavy Duty Engine Oil Category PC-11 Development

Besides addressing fuel economy and GHG emissions, the EMA wants PC-11 to define improvements in oxidation stability and shear stability, resistance to aeration and use of biodiesel fuel.
To address the issue of fuel economy, low viscosity, fuel efficient, engine oils will be used. Currently, the vast majority of the U.S. market uses SAE 15W-40 oils for diesel engines, but this is likely to change over time. In fact, we are currently seeing an increased use of SAE 10W-30 oils.
It is important to note that NHTSA regulations designed to reduce GHG emissions and mandate fuel economy improvements only apply to on-highway trucks, not off-highway vehicles. This opens the door for the creation of two different PC-11 oils; one to meet evolving market needs and a second to provide a backwards compatibility in higher viscosity grades, like SAE 15W-40s. If the new category is split into two parts, it will be a first in the history of heavy-duty engine oil category development that this has happened.
The new category will continue to support SAE 15W-40 oils, which are expected to remain critical to both on-highway and off-highway markets. These oils have proven to provide great engine durability over time.
Content originally published by Delo, a Chevron brand.

Last edited:

JasonS

Several OEMs are now running direct acting mechanical bucket lifters. How are they getting by without massive amounts of ZDDP?