• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T-136 Normal tempetaure operating range.

Capriceii

Looking for a little direction.

Just did a transmission swap due to a bad output bearing.

But we noticed that the Transfer case was very hot, hotter than seemed safe.

After the 26 mile return trip home I took some temp readings with a temp gun. It was showing between 233 - 239 F.

After searching the inter webs and this site I found this temp information in TM9-2320-386-10 it lists the T-136 as the transfer case for the M35 in that TM. They state:

"Transmission temperature gauge indicates temperature of transmission oil when engine is running. Normal operating temperature is 160°-200°F (71°-93°C)."

So it sounds like mine is running hot. I had just changed the oil, we did double check the level, it was good, the oil did not look cooked or burnt.

The Truck us an M109A3 with just the box, no mods and no load.

So what should I be looking for? Do I need to swap in a replacement transfer case? I have come so far, I want her to be mechanical sound.

Thank you for any direction and support!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was ambient temperature? If is was a 95 degree day and the spec is for a 60 degree day, you are most likely still in spec. These transfers typically give warning signs when failing, like wobbly shafts, leaks, noise. The shop vans put a lot of strain on the powertrain due to weight and wind resistance. You can be sure at 55 mph every bit of 130 hp is going through the box at all times.

Capriceii

What was ambient temperature? If is was a 95 degree day and the spec is for a 60 degree day, you are most likely still in spec. These transfers typically give warning signs when failing, like wobbly shafts, leaks, noise. The shop vans put a lot of strain on the powertrain due to weight and wind resistance. You can be sure at 55 mph every bit of 130 hp is going through the box at all times.

Ambient was about 70F last night. I had a feeling that would be the answer:) Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks