• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T-17 Halftrack pictures

watson

One of two unarmored half track vehicles to ever go into full production. Mechanically the T17 was fairly identical to the M-series armored half-tracks of WW II: White 160 AX, six-cylinder, 386 cubic inch engine with four speed transmission and two-speed transfer. Front tires we 8.25x2O mounted on combat rims, and the rear steel-cable and-rubber track was 121/4 inches wide. The wheelbase was 135.5 inches. Although the T17 Radio Carrier seen here has U.S. military markings on it (the Desert Training Center Indio, Cal.), the majority of these Autocars went to the USSR under the Lend-Lease program. A normal Autocar commercial cab was fitted, and the hood and radiator shell were modified to suit the vehicle, while retaining the Autocar identity. The fenders and headlamp assemblies appear to be the same as those used on the armored versions.

Attachments

Last edited:

watson

I was wondering when someone was going to notice, it is that is the only thing that is not right but it is close to what came on the truck so I used it till I find the correct bed if ever!!!

Thanks Erick

L999here

....light-weight...

Very nicely done....!!! I like the hardtop especially. Would a radio truck bed fit on the track frame...? Like the type used on the Duce...? Imagine the weight would be a lot less than the 21K+ of my M16 with the Quad Mount....LOL....

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watson that is one REALLY REALLY nice track, I have never seen one of those before and you have one heck of a beautiful example, You are a lucky man Watson
KK

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
105 bed or not Its a nice track. I think they used a CCKW shortwheel base bed but I'm not sure.

Armada

Woah! Just when you think you've seen it all, something like this shows up!!! Awesome! Beautiful job!
Tells us more watson. What is the history behind the one you have? Was it sitting in a barn on a tobacco farm for 40 years? Was it complete (except for the bed) when you took ownership? Do you have any pre-restoration pics?
Thanks for sharing your immaculate and very rare mv! It's a step back in time. I salute you!

XanRa

awesome truck[thumbzup]- and on a side note: america has this nasty habit of leaving a very large trail of mvs everywhere it goes... there all over europe, spread out all over the pacific etc. it kind of depressing..... just like the war dogs of vietnam... all put down and left behind....

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very beautiful track! Everything looks the same as in fenders, winch and bumper and the final drive, just a "normal" truck cab. Bet it is easier to get in and out of! I'm almot done with working on an M3 White and getting in-n-out kills me.