• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T case

ari

No trans light its a 3spd trans 6.5 engine at some point it was a 10xx truck as noted in a previous post. What i am wondering is if i have the vampire prone T case or a upgraded model.

ari

So i forgot theres a tag on it I do have a 242 T/C. As action said it shoud be a 218 with the 3 spd basically im trying to figure out what im dealing with. my data plates say its a m998 but its not really an m998 it was a m10xx. and there are various up grades like power steering cooler and high back seats and a fairly new looking 6.5 and a smart start system. IMAG0072.jpgIMAG0075.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 types of 242 for the HMMWV...the 242 was an MWO to replace the 218. I've seen them installed with and without the lock lamp from whom ever installed them. Take a pic of the tailshadt where the drive shaft exits.
the newer style has a 4 bolt tail shaft housing, the early model has a 3 bolt tail shaft housing.

ari

So with it being a new style case and the drive shafts seem to be new style too shouldent a 4l80e trans slide right in and bolt up to everything? except for the wiring harness which would need to be made.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your 242 is dated 06, so its probably the good one.
There are two different 242's that can go behind the 3L80 trans....one has a 3 bolt tail shaft, one has 4 bolts.
3 bolt one has a smaller slip yoke.
I've had 3 and 4 bolt T/c's with the blue band on one tube.
The 4 bolt tail shaft T/C is also the one that fits behind the 4L80e trans.
Each one of these T/C's has a different rear drive shaft.

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will work on a 4L80E with the proper adapter.
Adapter on the 3L80 won't work on a 4L80E.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks