• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

taboo to talk

springbok

Bottom line, and I do not agree with the "off road use only" is that you are bidding and agreeing to these terms.
To then complain that what you bought and the terms you agreed to are wrong is silly.

ke5eua

Yes, I spoke with the DMV official above the local desk clerk. Stated all the basic reasons as discussed here for why I shouldn't be denied. Main reason is that my chassis is approved for highway use..H1...best example. Also my engine has an EPA approved sticker on it. If you have an approved engine and chassis then it's no different than a kit car I build in my garage. I now own a street legal hmmwv approved by the city of Denver with a valid title, plates and registration. Now, to make things clear about my situation, I did not buy off an auction. I bought one from plan b supply. They have some sort of deal going where they are buying like they are a police or fire department so I'm guessing the "off road use only" stamp may not be on the paperwork. I'm sure the Denver DOT officials looked into this as at first I was rejected until I laid out everything for them to examine. The plan b guys also contacted them for me and further provided whatever information they needed.
Your vehicle has a emissions exemption sticker.

This is my understanding of a kit car registration. It has to meet safety and emissions requirements set forth at the time of registration.

If I were to build a kit car and use the engine out of a cucv it would still fail emissions as the exemption sticker was granted for the engine in its original vehicle, not whatever vehicles I wished to put it in. If that was the case I'd repower my 2005 Dodge 1500 gasser with a 6.2 out of a cucv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sintorion

Bottom line, and I do not agree with the "off road use only" is that you are bidding and agreeing to these terms.
To then complain that what you bought and the terms you agreed to are wrong is silly.
No one is complaining. This is about information sharing and understanding of what are the proper legal options we have with ownership. The last thing I want to see is someone skirting the law, having a problem and ruining this for the rest of us. There is a ton of misinformation and understandings out there that confuses the issue.

ari

I think it's quite possible this whole off road only thing is to appease am general in some way. I don't think the dla or the state really care what one does with it.

ari

If big brother or the dla did care the auctions would have probably stopped by now and GP wouldn't allow flippers. My 2 cents

ke5eua

If big brother or the dla did care the auctions would have probably stopped by now and GP wouldn't allow flippers. My 2 cents
Just throwing this into the pot.

Your new to the forum, it's this type of verbiage that's gets these threads closed.

No political discussions. There is a reason, I won't go into detail but you are more than welcome to search the forum to get a better understanding.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think any MV has a fmvss sticker
I know but this discussion is about humvees and so was my question.

Others have said the H1 was the same exact vehicle. I would assume they have a fmvss sticker.

So, why would they have not put it on the military humvee?

To compare, the chevy cucv did have one, and are based on the same (a civilian vehicle).

Gunzy

"Your engine has a emissions exemption sticker. "
I have personally seen some HMMWVs with EPA certification stickers AND others with the exemption tag. My guess is the EPA'd ones have had an engine change using a GM supplied crate engine which does have the EPA sticker. Also, can anyone tell me the exact difference between the EPA approved 6.2/6.5 and an exempt one?
Now, as far as an FMVSS sticker, they are not on any M939 series trucks yet they are road legal and registered everywhere. I also can't seem to find an FMVSS sticker on the '08 Colorado sitting outside my shop but did find one on a '93 F350 that delivered as a chassis cab. So, I really find the discussion about the FMVSS sticker a bit mute.

ari

Just throwing this into the pot.

Your new to the forum, it's this type of verbiage that's gets these threads closed.

No political discussions. There is a reason, I won't go into detail but you are more than welcome to search the forum to get a better understanding.

There all kinda posts under this thread that normally gets deleted or locked. Got little to taboo I guess

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=4]https://www.transit.dot.gov/about/brief-history-mass-transit

Does FTA require that an FMVSS sticker be affixed to all rolling stock purchased with Federal funds? I have found literature that states a sticker is mandatory (in addition to a written certification) and other literature that states a written certification is the only requirement. Which is correct?[/h]The FMVSS sticker is required to comply with NHTSA’s vehicle safety requirements - see 49 CFR part 567.
In order to comply with FTA funding eligibility requirements, however, the recipient must ensure that the vehicles comply with NHTSA’s safety standards, so both an FMVSS sticker and a written certification of compliance are required, as stated in FTA’s Post-Delivery Review handbook, with a sample certification form. (Posted: August, 2013)
[h=4][/h]

ke5eua

FVMSS sticker is on the vin sticker in the door.

The difference between EPA compliant and exempt is the EGR system from what I can see. The 6.2/6.5's that are put in don't have the egr valve on the intake and the vacuum operated exhaust valve off the manifold.

I have personally seen some HMMWVs with EPA certification stickers AND others with the exemption tag. My guess is the EPA'd ones have had an engine change using a GM supplied crate engine which does have the EPA sticker. Also, can anyone tell me the exact difference between the EPA approved 6.2/6.5 and an exempt one?
Now, as far as an FMVSS sticker, they are not on any M939 series trucks yet they are road legal and registered everywhere. I also can't seem to find an FMVSS sticker on the '08 Colorado sitting outside my shop but did find one on a '93 F350 that delivered as a chassis cab. So, I really find the discussion about the FMVSS sticker a bit mute.

ke5eua

I meant to say vehicle not engine. While the emission sticker is for the engine it's for the vehicle. Brain hurts today.

Sintorion

I think it's quite possible this whole off road only thing is to appease am general in some way. I don't think the dla or the state really care what one does with it.
The more I dig into this, the more I am starting to agree. After reading this yesterday, it seems even more like it. www.dla.mil/AboutDLA/News/NewsArticleView/Article/744102/coming-soon-to-a-trail-near-you-maybe/ It almost seems like they are afraid of something. Maybe having to justify what they charged the military? Maybe the diminished value of the H1? Maybe liability? Can't really figure it out.

What I have found from reading through the RFP is that it is very specific that DLA is not selling these directly to us. It states that IP is selling them to us which explains why the SF97s show IP as the transferee.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SF 97s have always been that way, ie when GL sells the sf97 is from them as well.

Gunzy

This is the sticker on my truck, figured I'd share it since it's being discussed.
THAT is an EPA compliant engine. I assume it is in a HMMWV. Recovry4x4, where is the FMVSS sticker on any MVs other than CUCVs? I haven't found one on my M923 or M985.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The more I dig into this, the more I am starting to agree. After reading this yesterday, it seems even more like it. www.dla.mil/AboutDLA/News/NewsArticleView/Article/744102/coming-soon-to-a-trail-near-you-maybe/ It almost seems like they are afraid of something. Maybe having to justify what they charged the military? Maybe the diminished value of the H1? Maybe liability? Can't really figure it out.

What I have found from reading through the RFP is that it is very specific that DLA is not selling these directly to us. It states that IP is selling them to us which explains why the SF97s show IP as the transferee.
DLA sells them to GP.....GP sells to whomever. That's why there is the reassignment form for the issued SF97.
amgen has nothing to do with this either, they are only the mfg....and no longer make the H1.
The end of production on the H1 was due to federal compliance and crash safety tests, AMG said forget it..the vehicle would have needed airbags and other safety features AMG was not inclined to spend the money on with such a limited base to sell into, that and having to crash numerous units per federal regs to meet guidelines.
The DMV letter sent out by AMG that folks refer to was went out many many years ago in response to the 99 auctions, not the recent GP sales. AMG has no say in this....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks