• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tach Cable, 2nd Try.

Ugg013

Guys:

My tach cable keeps popping off at the block. Is there a lock washer, or should I use some Lock Tite to keep the damn thing on? :? I NEED to do sumpthin before the head gets all chewed up.

Later
Ugg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, no lock on it. It is just a regular tachometer nut. Just tighten it till it's tight.

Ugg013

Thanks Guys:

Granted I ain't as strong as I used to be, but after 3 times of re-attaching that thing, I'm just a bit fed up. :evil: Once again it came off yesterday as I was taking Maynard for some stick time. He has parade duty Friday & he'll be drivin the Frog with Mom as his shotgun while me & his little sister drive in the Beast. BTW, he's still ain't aware that I transfered the Frog's title into his name. :wink:

Later
Ugg

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BEASTMASTER said:
not to nit pick but the flag should not touch any part of the truck.so i've been told.
Should be on the right front. No other flag higher than the S&S

Ugg013

WillWagner said:
BEASTMASTER said:
not to nit pick but the flag should not touch any part of the truck.so i've been told.
Should be on the right front. No other flag higher than the S&S
Welllllll, about the flags. Now this is just IMPHO, and being that I am no longer in the military, nor is the Frog, there just ain't enough flags on it. Of course there isn't any other flag on it, but if there were, ole blood & guts (the stars & stripes) would be standing taller than the rest.

Now as for it touching the truck, try as I might, I can't control the weather, so if the wind blows it (or doesn't)...... Also, Maynard is the one that attached em & in my condition, I have to take what help I can get.

We have parade duty on the 4th, so I'll attach new pics after & hopefully I'll get thru to the kid enough to where the flags will be a bit higher, but I only have poles just so long. Another also, the Beast'll have have a 48 star flag so there. :p :wink:
later
Ugg

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 14' pole with a big flag off the back of mine one year. Here's a tip. Get familliar with the route, sometimes phone lines are real low!
Don't ask.

Capt.Marion

WillWagner said:
I had a 14' pole with a big flag off the back of mine one year. Here's a tip. Get familliar with the route, sometimes phone lines are real low!
Don't ask.
I bet either the phone or power company really like you...

Ugg013

WillWagner said:
Don't ask.
Yo Sparky: :twisted:

Let's just say I'm VERY intimate with my route. :wink: However, in winter, after a heavy, wet snow (remember those), I have to have Maynard ride in the back with a broom, so we don't loose our cable & phone line. The power line is a bit higher up & safely outa reach.

BTW, I have a 3X5' flag out front, on my deck, that stays out 24/7, & a very small one on the end of my fence by my driveway, but that one is upside down (for a reason), which nobody around here (meaning by Uggville) has commented on. :?

Later
Ugg 8)

dfanders

5 ton tach

Just pulled the tach cable out of my M52 with gasser engine. It does have a 1/2 moon washer to hold it on the engine side. Not sure if that happens on later ones.

cheers,
David

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad this thread resurfaced, I have a couple trucks that have tachs that are not working and I was wondering if there is a common place to start. I think I'll start with the motor end of the cable :smile:

dabtl

The first thing to check is whether or not the tach drive is turning. I found mine was not.

I wish I had known this because I started with the tach, working perfectly, decided it might be a bad cable and soon had a working cable out of the truck only to find the drive was broken.

Just disconnect the cable and start the engine. If it turns, it is working. If not, get another.

Tackettr

Ugg, I just put a new tach cable on my duece and had concerns after seeing your original post. My duece has a clamp just above where the cable mounts to the block. Does yours have this? It is my opinion that this clamp would keep the cable from coming out of its socket even if the nut is totally backed off, thus keeping it out of the fan. If it is not present you may want to look into it installing one. Again it might help keeping it out of the fan and may eliminate you problem of it coming loose also. Just a thought.

Kevin

Last edited:

dfanders

New tach cable installed - Still not tach !

Gents,

Installed a new tach cable. INstalled in back of tach and no joy. Pulled the cable out of the tach. Start engine and the cable does not move. I push on the cable and give it a jiggle. It starts to turn, and comes up to a steady spin. I insatll in back into the tach. Still not joy with the tach!
I am going to test the tach by using a square dril on a drill that is the right size, shove it into teh back of the tach gauage, and give it a spin. I suspect the guage is the issue, but it may be i have too much slack in the cable , so that when it is installed it is not turning - because when i pulled it out , i had to wiggle it to get it to starte to move.

Thoughts ?

David

datsunaholic

You don't need a drill to see if the tach itself moves, just spin the part in the back where the cable goes with your fingers (it's enough to make the needle bounce).

I had a bad tach in mine when I got it, the needle part would get "stuck" and spin around the gauge until it jammed up against the stop peg the other way. Stupid plastic cased "replacement" tach, the slight cable misalignment flexed the case just enough to pull the innards out of plumb. Ended up getting a used Vietnam-era tach which works fine. Diagnosing all this was a ton of fun since the first time I took it out on the freeway the tach cable broke at the engine end (the retaining clamp was installed backwards and caused a misalignment).

Davis, it's entiredly possible that your cable is too short or it's missing the retainer in the drive end, which would let the cable slide up and out of the drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks