• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tach hook up point

jag7720

I picked up a vdo 333-158 tach.

I read all the posts about where to hook up the tach... but I am getting odd readings.

Is this the correct location? This pic shows the right side alternator.... see the red wire with the blue connector?

Anyone use the vdo 333-158 tach and have success?

Attachments

jag7720

The rubber cover on that post had never been removed... It was very clean... New tach... New wire ... clean post.

Id like to try one under the dash but I couldn't find anything (pics) that showed where it is

cucv1833

The rubber cover on that post had never been removed... It was very clean... New tach... New wire ... clean post.

Id like to try one under the dash but I couldn't find anything (pics) that showed where it is

Have you looked at these threads. Good detail
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/60319-putting-tach-6-2-a.html?highlight=tach+buffer
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/34870-ste-ice-connector-tach-reading.html?highlight=tach+buffer

Thats why I bought a Tiny Tach instead of electric:smile:

M1008driver

I've read everything without a clear understanding on how to install a tach. I am buying a tach and trying the wire between the tach buffer and ste/ice. If that don't work I will try the Dakota Diesel Tach Inteface, DSL-1, and try to get signal from my DS alternator.

If that don't work I think I will ... try something else. :popcorn:

EDIT- this may be the way to go. I'm still learning what's best.

Auto Meter Diesel Tachometers - YouTube

Last edited:

jag7720

M1008driver

Where is this tach buffer and ste/ice?
I looked last night and you can see the tach buffer under the dash near the ste/ice. It has a case with a card in it similar to the gp controller card, but smaller. Supposedly the brown wire is the right one. Mine is wrapped and I would have to do some more looking to find the right one. I looked at the tach wire coming out of the alternator, but it did not look brown to me.

If you figure this out please make some pics for us that are lost. Somewhere there was a pic of the ste/ice pin holes and what they went to. I can't find it anymore and wish I could as it would help.

Last edited:

M1008driver

I have been studying installing a tach for awhile now. It seems the two easiest ways so far is the Tiny Tach that uses the fuel line and the Auto Meter that attaches a band to the alternator. A more professional job might be the Dakota Digital Tach Interface.

I am very hesistant of splicing my ste/ice port between the tach buffer, even though I will probably never use it, unless someone showed me the way with pics or good directions.
According to the TM the brown tach wire changes color after it comes out of the tach buffer module and I don't want to splice the wrong wire.

EDIT- First I apologize if I am hijacking your topic, as that is not my intention.

When I talk about the Dakota Digital Tach Interface, I am thinking of mounting under the hood on the firewall and use a 12 volt ignition source for power. This would let you use the tach connection on the alternator to your tach in the cab. (I guess that is theory as I have not done it myself. but seems sound.)

As you originally asked, I would love to be able to splice in the tach buffer. I just don't know if that will work until someone says so for sure.

Good tach info here too. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/66097-cucv-tachometer.html

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes I read those... still, I'm with M1008driver... no clear understanding...

Where is this tach buffer and ste/ice? Any pictures of the exact point to tap into?

Using these instructions http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-044.pdf and the settings for Alt A/C tap 6000 RPM (12-17) I've tried them all and nothing gets readings like it was correct.

Here is what my tach is doing hooked to the pool on the alt.
VDO Alternator triggered tach on 1985 CUCV M1009 - YouTube
The pickup has to be in the very middle of the alt(in the line of the two halves). Where is yours?

You also need to calibrate it. (I've posted all this in another tach thread)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks