• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tach sender

Kenneth Cole

I have installed a Tach. and like many have had no luck getting it to work. I installed it per instructions on this sight and feel everything is wired right and with continuity at all points. I bought a new sender and still no luck. Has anyone ever determined what output should come from the sender. I feel it should be some amount of voltage. If you put the shaft in a drill you should get some sort of reading.
Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Ken

beckel

Been down that road on my last build. I could never find a good square wave signal to drive the tach. The solution that worked for me was the Dakota digital sgi-5. Within 10 minutes I was up and running. This box converts the nasty saw tooth signal off the analog tach drive to a clean square wave signal.

Kenneth Cole

HiThe Tach I have is the one with the 4 screw terminal strip. As to the sgi-5 I don't understand how that would work, please let me know.Thanks Ken

Icecold1

I need to do this soon,any luck with your install?

i was thinking of tapping the 2 wires on the sender under the doghouse.on the top rear of the engine.

i still need the tach bracket if anyone knows where to get one let me know

pete

Kenneth Cole

Hi
It should be a simple hookup. I have voltage at the red wire and the black has a good ground. The center two wires are from the sender still no reading from the tach. I hooked the sender up to a drill and could not read any type of output.
At this point I am lost.
Ken

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a test :
Tach : 5k1-03500-rmp-24-ba-w-00 works with sender : TR8-AJ-2, and 12258931-2.
This tach goes up to 3500 rpm.
+ to 24vdc source, - to ground, other two terminals to sender.
I tested 4 tachs, and 5 senders with a drill.
Tach and sender on left in pic.
DSC_000757.JPG
Tach : 5D1-03000-RPM-24-BA-0-0 on right only works with dual sender wires circled in red.
Tach goes up to 3ooo rpm.
This one probably will read lower [ about 250 rpm ] with same drill test.

Last edited:

Kenneth Cole

86humv
Hi, I installed another sender and still no luck. The tach that I have is the 0-3500rpm model with a 4 wire terminal strip. The sender P/N is 6680-01-148-8875. I'm not sure if this is the right sender. They said it was for the Humvee. When I turn the ignition switch to the "Run" position the tach will jump up to about 1000rpm and drop to zero.
Any thoughts.
Ken

Kenneth Cole

86humv
I agree. The tach is new and this is the third sender. I wish I could test the tach. Also I wish I knew if I should read some sort of output from the sender.
Ken

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What the long part number on the white decal ?
5k1-xxxxx-rpm-x-xx-xx-x-xx

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tachs I have that have the same number as yours except they are 3k rpm, don't work with the tach drive you have.
I have a new one and some used ones available

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks