• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tacho install success. Maybe some good info's

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What lazer reader are you using? Can you give me some info on that device? I need something to calibrate my Dakota digital module. I think it is close but I have no way to verify. I am considering buying a tiny tach just to use for calibration and keep on the shelf.

Thanks
Rich
CyberTech
Lazer Photo Tachometer
About $15 on Amazon

Works like a champ.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpgimage.jpg
Finished tach install today. Just like recommended by OP.
Very easy!! Hardest part was drilling hole to match exact the factory one.

I also moved my voltmeter over. The tach is now readily visible and the VM is just a peek past steering wheel.
Didnt want to get rid of Hobbs meter so made a bracket out of scrap aluminum and placed it next to gauges below dash.

Now no more guessing!

The OP is also correct about how the gauge seems to read different depending on viewing angle. I also adjusted mine looking directly at it. The rpm looks low in pic but is still spot on when viewed head on.

Total cost for everything including laser rpm reader right at $130.
Took my brother and I about two/three hours. That included the Hobbs bracket.

Worth every penny!!

cpf240

The OP is also correct about how the gauge seems to read different depending on viewing angle. I also adjusted mine looking directly at it. The rpm looks low in pic but is still spot on when viewed head on.
What you are referring to is called "parallax error" and is common with any gauge with a needle. This is why the passenger sees a different reading then the driver. My old voltmeter, a test instrument - not to be confused with the one in the dash, had a mirrored strip so you could tell when you were looking at it directly to get an accurate reading.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Already knew that but thank you.
Before we went to glass cockpits in our helos that was accounted for.
That was more a information statement for anyone else who installs one and isn't familiar with that issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks