• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tachometer on 4a032?

Boatcarpenter

I had someone ask me if there is a way to put a tach on a 4a032. Just the engine, no genset attached. My first thought was some sort of an electronic tach with the sensor attached to the flywheel, ring gear, starter rope pulley etc.
Any ideas?:idea:
Thanks,
BC

Parapluie

Tachometer on 4AO32?

I see that this post has gotten no replies for the past nine years. Is there anyone out there still interested in tachometers for the 4A032 engine? I have a dash 4 and would like to install a tach on it. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this successfully. I note that, quite some time back (06/25/09), Bruce Holtz posted some info about this subject on the 4A032 Yahoo Group. He said that one of the Tiny Tach models (didn't say which one) would work with the red pickup wire (which in an engine with a non-shielded ignition system would be wrapped around a plug wire) could be directly connected to terminal #4 (brown) in one of the two ignition control units of the 4A032. Has anyone tried this, and what model Tiny Tach did you use?

Last edited:

m139h2otruck

While not a permanent solution, I just got a no-contact optical rpm meter from Harbor Freight. Stick a little piece of reflector tape on the front pulley and point the gun at it. Works good for all kinds of things.

Parapluie

I ended up ordering a Digiten-4 tachometer on Amazon.com for $20. This has a Hall-Effect pickup that I mounted on a bracket next to the flywheel. The magnet itself was attached to the flywheel with a dab of JB Weld. I put the digital readout in a small equipment box mounted to the side of the fuel tank (also an add-on). The unit runs on 12-volts, which can be supplied either from a battery or a 110 vac to 12 vdc transformer. This all works quite well, and the display is very stable.

Attachments

profo

You can use a tiny tach module that's is used for lawn mowers etc. I made a airboat with a 4a084 and all you do is wrap the pickup wire around sparkplug wire. Show hours when not running and rpm when running has built in battery thats last about three years and waterproff. Amazon or eBay!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks