• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tactical generator environmental modifications

Another Ahab

I get my pop nuts from a "good" hardware store. One of those places that carry's just about everything.
Never seen them in Lowes or HD around here.
I like those kinds of stores.

There are still a very few around here (I can count maybe 4-5 within the whole DC metropolitan area), but they're getting thinned out fast.

They kind of go hand-in-hand with the old "greasy-spoon" walk-up sandwich shops; great tradesmen chow, but they're disappearing now too.

Everything changes.

Guyfang

Staff member
We also use the pop nuts in electrical distribution boxes. The first time I saw them in the civilian world, was on D-box copper bars. Each phase and the PEN, (Ground and Neutral bar) had holes drilled in them and the pop nuts inserted. Cables are connected to the bars by large bolts, screwed into the pop nuts. Fast, cheap and dependable. And no lost hardware when you remove the bolt. Without fail, when a bolt was removed before the pop nuts came about, the nut, flat washer and lock washer fell to the bottom of the D-box. All fine and good, but sometimes we have to work with live circuits. I once, (under much pressure, and having complained unsuccessfully to two higher levels of command) had to replace a single pull, single throw, three phase circuit breaker, from live circuits. I lost several pounds of sweat, doing the job. High voltage is not a friend of mine. During the replacement portion of the job, the last nut, washers and bolt, would not start. The tools were insulated. I pushed too hard on the ratchet, and it pushed the nut out of the housing, and it fell down, between two two high voltage copper bars. The nut, (a 24MM) turned into plasma. It blinded me, destroyed my face shield and made many fine holes in my protective jacket. Those kind of accidents would never have happened with pop nuts. I am kinda partial to pop nut nowadays. Oh, yeah. The small town where we were working at the time had to spend several hours without electricity, until someone else could effect repairs. I had to go home and change my underwear.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I pushed too hard on the ratchet, and it pushed the nut out of the housing, and it fell down, between two two high voltage copper bars. The nut, (a 24MM) turned into plasma. It blinded me, destroyed my face shield and made many fine holes in my protective jacket. Those kind of accidents would never have happened with pop nuts. I am kinda partial to pop nut nowadays. Oh, yeah. The small town where we were working at the time had to spend several hours without electricity, until someone else could effect repairs. I had to go home and change my underwear.
Brother, I am glad that you are here to tell the story (and with all of your pieces unharmed and still in place +/-).

Like "YIKES"!

yikes.jpg

gatorbob

4) Spray Spectrum on the doors and new hood.
Hi Hard Head, this is a great thread and amazing design. I just got my MEP-803A and was wondering after all this time what the top 2-3 things were to help reduce the noise?

I can't afford to have the unit disassembled for a long time at the start of hurricane season but have a week off and want to accomplish something. I'm already on a concrete pad with a rubber mat, removed the rattling door stay holders, and the lift points.

Is the Spectrum from Second Skin Audio a big help? I saw in another thread you bought 2 inch acoustical fiberglass for the hood and others have mentioned putting something in the doors. I am curious what you used that can withstand the heat.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks