• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate and Rhino Carrier

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Rhino swing away tire carrier that I installed on my M998. I see that Ted has one on the M998 just sold on Hummer Marketplace. Has anyone else installed one? My tailgate hits the tire carrier and will not open fully. I tried rotating the large nut that holds the arm threads in place, but it still does not clear. Any suggestions?

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will get one out tonight. An obvious omission on my part -- tough to have to be in my office 10 hours a day and not in my shop, where I really want to be. :).

Augi

You have to lift up the lock bar and swing the tire carrier all the way outboard of the fender. The lock bar locks the carrier after 90 degrees of travel, but it will do a full 180 to clear the tailgate.

Augi

BLK HMMWV

Ditto what Augi said.

I made a new bracket to replace the factory one for mine . i did it to shift the tire carrier about 3 inches to the right . It uses the same mounting points as the original rhino does . Then made a custom 2 can swing away carrier that mounts on the left side of the bumper. It uses the same mounting points the rhino carrier uses but on the left side.

BH

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of moving it over. Any photos you can post? Did you adapt another fuel can carrier or build from scratch?

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to lift up the lock bar and swing the tire carrier all the way outboard of the fender. The lock bar locks the carrier after 90 degrees of travel, but it will do a full 180 to clear the tailgate.

Augi
I like the simple solutions. I had never tried to undo the latch lock and move it further open. Many thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks