• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate window crank assembly question

I recently purchased all applicable parts from LMC to assemble a new Tailgate window crank. My issue lies in the fact that I cannot make the clutch act as a clutch, it seems fixed (static), so long as the cylinder is in the body. Also, the key does not turn inside the cylinder, it just rotates the cylinder in and out of the body. Should I see pins exposed? There is a small shield where I would guess them to be. What am I missing? What keeps the Cylinder in the body? What engages/disengages the clutch?

OL AG '89

Do you have the appropriate TM for the truck?
There is a great expanded picture in the TM, it should give you everything you need to know. INcluding how to disassemble and assemble the entire lot.
The cylinder should bbe held by a retainer clip or screw.
The cylinder should NOT be showing pins the "cover" is over the pins...
The cylinder should just spin in the assembly as I remember. It has tabs on it that allow you to lock / unlock the handle.

dduncan

I had to rebuild mine as well, took me a minute to figure out but it works fairly simply. One day i went to try to lock it and the key cylinder just came out, then it wouldn't roll up or down. When I took it apart I found that the clutch was broke and that caused the spring and pawl to fall out. The key cylinder, when unlocked, catches the crank, rolling the window up or down, when locked it doesn't "catch" on the crank, making it unable to roll up or down. The small spring and pawl is what holds the key cylinder in the crank assembly. Look at the diagram that LMC shows and then just look at how the cylinder and the crank assembly are made and you will see how to put it together.

Let me know if this helps! It sounds exactly like what happened to mine!!

Got it. I do have the TM and LMC's exploded drawings. Per the TM, it appears that the retainer clip that holds in the cylinder is what I appear to be missing. The LMC drawing also doesn't show the washer and spring washer in front of the clutch. Any Ideas on running down these parts? Is the retainer clip I am missing the same as the one that holds the clutch?

dduncan

The retainer clip holds the clutch on. The spring and the pawl (what LMC calls it) is what holds the cylinder in. The only parts I had are the ones that LMC shows and mine works like a dream!!

mistaken1

I had to rebuild mine after it failed. Took a few minutes to figure out how it all went together.

The window crank parts are made out of soft metal that fails continuously. The tailgate makes accessing the cargo area a pain. All so I can remove the top and leave the interior exposed to rain and thieves. There is reason SUVS went to an overhead lift.

I case you can't tell I love my M1009 but I hate the stupid tailgate design.

I finally got it. The LMC drawing and parts work great, but differ slightly from the TM. I dont know why, perhaps the crank was redesigned later on. My problem was that I wasnt depressing the pawl far enough into the body to click in and mate up with the cylinder. Another task completed!