• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taillight mounting holes stripped out???

oddave715

Has anyone been able to repair tail lights that have had the mounting holes stripped out? I have a nearly new light off my M101A3 that has been stripped out on one hole and the other is nearly gone. I'm not sure if a tap alone will be enough to repair this. My other thought is to JB Weld the hole shut, drill it and then tap it. I wanted to see what others have done before I jump in on this project. I really don't want to trash this nice light and spend out money for another if I don't have to. Thanks!

papakb

The keyserts from Fastenall are probably the best option to repair stripped threads because they use standard size taps to install them.. Another option would be Helicoils but they require non-standard taps for installation. Something else to look out for is replacement lamp housings. They're pretty cheap when you find them.

Kurt

KansasBobcat

I have used Helicoils but not in this application. I would try degreasing the holes and coating the threads with JB weld and then retapping. You can always try another solution if this does not hold. You don't need a lot of torque in this application.

oddave715

I have used Helicoils but not in this application. I would try degreasing the holes and coating the threads with JB weld and then retapping. You can always try another solution if this does not hold. You don't need a lot of torque in this application.
That's what I was thinking of doing. I saw a kit from Loctite that is for thread repair. I might try that if I can find the kit locally. It uses a two part material(epoxy?) and a thread releaser that you coat the bolt threads with. I watched part of a YouTube video of it. I'll try to get a link for it up later today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zUI6GMkTOjU

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was an idiot and used a tap to clean out the threads on mine that were full of paint. I used a fine thread tap when it was actually coarse thread. I felt dumb dumb dumb. I'm still not completely over it. :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks