• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Take me to CUCV school.

Slmpickins28

I'm looking at buying a M1008 or 09. But know little about them other than there Chevy K30's or K5's. I was in the army. But my unit used mainly HMMWV, M35's, and LMTV's. We had a few CUCV's for small stuff. I'm basicaly buying it for a utility truck for the house, and to haul my ATV around. (That and the Cool factor) Eventaly I want to get a M35 or M818, and do a bob project. But for now I'm looking for a few tips for my first MV. My biggest question's are. What's the most common problem with the CUCV's? And why dose the M1009 cost so dang much? Other than GL where is the best place to get one?

Thank you all in advance!

SLM

Last edited:

Slmpickins28

While I dont own a CUCV, I can tell you when it comes to cost. There is alot more uses for everyday life for that, over say a deuce.
There's nothing like driving a deuce down the road, and watching everybody's jaw drop. Only reason I want a CUCV before an M35 is my wife and HOA would have a litter of ugly puppies!

gunboy1656

understandable, my wife love riding behind my deuce, just seeing everyones faces. Luckily nobody has said anything about my truck, No HOA to worry about, just landlord, and he just waved when he saw me with it.

Besides, the CUCv makes a good first choice, since like I said, more versitile. You can run to the store and fit into one parking space. I am looking at getting a blazer once I fix up my dodge dakota. Dont need a pick up when I have the deuce.

Nonotagain

I'm looking at buying a M1008 or 09. But know little about them other than there Chevy K30's or K5's. I was in the army. But my unit used mainly HMMWV, M35's, and LMTV's. We had a few CUCV's for small stuff. I'm basicaly buying it for a utility truck for the house, and to haul my ATV around. (That and the Cool factor) Eventaly I want to get a M35 or M818, and do a bob project. But for now I'm looking for a few tips for my first MV. My biggest question's are. What's the most common problem with the CUCV's? And why dose the M1009 cost so dang much? Other than GL where is the best place to get one?

Thank you all in advance!

SLM
Going the GL aution route, the biggest problems are in order:

Bent drive shafts
Dented front fenders and doors
Cracked transfer cases
In-operable glow plug modules
Rusty rear tailgates and in-operable or broken tail gate windows.
In-operable/missing instrument gage clusters.

Cost is relative. If the vehicle is over 25 years you get by using antique plates for non-commercial uses which in most states means that you can use the vehicle for everything by a daily driver. My home state also states not for daily transportation but there is no fine for using is that way.

Can't answer on where else to purchase a CUCV as I have no interest in them and the under powered 6.2 liter diesel.

appalacious

Sure, its underpowered, but its fine for most jobs. Plus, the blazer gets low 20s in MPG.

Just don't get tempted to convert it to 12V. I did....shouldn't have.
oh, and just in case you didn't know. The 09 is geared too high, and the 08 is geared too low. relatively....

Slmpickins28

Sure, its underpowered, but its fine for most jobs. Plus, the blazer gets low 20s in MPG.

Just don't get tempted to convert it to 12V. I did....shouldn't have.
oh, and just in case you didn't know. The 09 is geared too high, and the 08 is geared too low. relatively....
I was planning on keeping it as close to mil issue as possable. Aren't the drive trains the same? Just a shorted wheel base on the 09? Or is there a diffrance in gear ratio between the 09 and 08?

EO2NMCB

Big diff in gears. The m1009 has 3.08's not good for pulling anything, but good hiway speed. M1008 has 4.56's great for pulling, bad on the hiway. My M1008 I only run 55mph going down the road, don't want to blow the 6.2.

Slmpickins28

Big diff in gears. The m1009 has 3.08's not good for pulling anything, but good hiway speed. M1008 has 4.56's great for pulling, bad on the hiway. My M1008 I only run 55mph going down the road, don't want to blow the 6.2.

Good to know as i can be a bit of a led foot sometimes. Has anybody just swapped out the front a rear axles?

todds112

I'm in the same boat. I love my Pinz, but I really need to pay off some bills. I can't bear to be without a green toy, though. Plan is to sell it, pay off some bills, get a little cheaper toy and still play in the woods. I really want a M-35, but I don't where I'ld keep it. CUCV M1009 seems like a good choice. Little shocked when I saw what the 1009's are going for. Pickens are pretty slim out west here it seems, too. Heck one I was watching on GL went for over $3k. Like to find one from this part of the country too. I REALLY hate rust.

bassetdeuce

Don't forget, an M1009 is A LOT easier to justify to the wife than a duece or 5 ton. It IS an automatic trans SUV, albeit old and primitive. This affects price.

nap159

my cucv is by far the best snowplow truck i have ever owned. not a lot of speed but i have a 9 foot plow on it and it will push far more snow than any of the new super duty's around. the biggest problem is low top speed and not not a lot of creature comforts in the cab

Slmpickins28

Yeah I've been leaning towards the 09. Only problem is no cargo space for the ATV. Kinda a trade off i guess. Speed in the 09 or the hauling capacity of the 08. Looks like there are a couple guys in cali and northern NV that have some for sale. Might have to drop them a message. Also the wife said hell no on the M35. So i guess that out of the question. Maybe i'll just buy one and ask for forgiveness.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks