• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Take me to CUCV school.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like mine. Although these days I drive the M35 more. You can run as tall as a 34" tire on the 1008 stock wheels without modifications and that helps the top end speed. Most 35's and some 36" with front fender trimming.

Attachments

91W350

Cool. I was thinking of running 32in super swampers or bfg mud terrains. Has anybody had any issues with the diesel no.2?
The M1008 is geared low enough that a taller tire is a relief. You will find better power and mileage on #2 diesel. Just do not run it below about 20 degrees. I much prefer to burn it when I can find it.

HardCorps79

Pros:
-WRT aftermarket parts, etc, the M1009 is fully supported by the civilian K5 blazer sites. You can easily find what you need that's not military specific on this truck.
-It's NOT expensive! If you look for K5's of the same vintage, you'll likely pay the same or twice as much for a gasoline engine with over 100,000 miles and a lot of bubba-jobs done to the engine. For Under $3k you can get a diesel with less than 60k miles and pretty decent regular/regulated maintenance done to it over the past 20 years.
-You can justify it to your wife and friends.
-Great gas mileage (beats out my minivan)
-If you do regular PM, this engine will outlast most civilian counterparts of the same era.

CONS-
-20+ y/o vehicle. Rubber and plastic parts deteriorate and have to be replaced.
-24V starting system can take a little learning to figure out
-Military specific parts for things like the alternator, some other electrical stuff
-Wiring problems (typical of 80's Chevy's, right?) If I had time and money, it would be worth it to just pull ever doggone wire and replace them all.
-Getting used to diesel issues in general: glow plugs, GP modules, etc.
-Injector Pump issues- (This has been MY nightmare with the truck. The pumps are usually fine, but the seals need to be replaced. Certified rebuild can run $300+) You CAN find replacement pumps on CL and Ebay, but you should check with resident experts before buying and installing.
-Don't think your M1009 can tow anything like what even a modern Tahoe can handle. Payload is only around 1,200 lbs. A M105 trailer is pretty much out of the question. An M101 can work, but a M416 is the specified trailer.

That's it for now. Spend a good 8-12 hours just reading posts in the CUCV section and you'll get an idea of the issues we face, common solutions and how members feel about their rides.

Semper Fi.
-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks