• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taking out boost pump while on engine?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who here has taken out your boost pump to replace the seal without removing IP? Threads? How'd you do it? I have jacks lifts heavy machinery etc.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Something I didn't mention in my thread: When you unbolt the motor mounts, leave the bolt in the passenger side rear mount, but very loose. You should be able to lift the engine and pivot it on that bolt, which keeps the engine from moving where it shouldn't go.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be doing just this as soon as Big Mike sends me my booster kit!! I'll add some more pics of another truck on your post. So others can do it.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I forgot the pictures but I took the nut off the driver's side engine mount. The two nuts off the front engine mounts and lossened the passenger side engine mount. Took off turbo intake pipe. And just lifted straight up from front engine lift Mount using a backhoe. Did not have to pull to side there was plenty of room. I did set it back down for the few minutes it took to change the seal out. Which was definitely needing a change. Hopefully I have found my problem. We shall see. I get to change the oil tomorrow and go for a ride. Thanks

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my truck runs better but now I have a seep around the plate that is on the outside of booster pump with the four screws in it. It's enough to cause a constant slow drip. Anything I can put on it to seal? It's a machined surface so it shouldn't be leaking unless it is scuffed. But it looks like it is seeping around the whole outside cover. Aaarrggg frustrating.

Last edited:

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plate on the outside doesn't use a gasket. It's the peice that holds the shaft and gears for pump. It is machined metal on metal. I'm afraid if I use anything it would cause it to leak more. I'll take it off and clean it again. Maybe

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plate on the outside doesn't use a gasket. It's the peice that holds the shaft and gears for pump. It is machined metal on metal.
I know that. That's why I recommended that kind of sealant, and not be tempted to try to solve it with a (paper)gasket.

In the early days they used shellac-based stuff there. (Don't ask me how I know....:-x)
I'm afraid if I use anything it would cause it to leak more.
You may- or may not follow my advice; your choice.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that. That's why I recommended that kind of sealant, and not be tempted to try to solve it with a (paper)gasket.

In the early days they used shellac-based stuff there. (Don't ask me how I know....:-x)
You may- or may not follow my advice; your choice.
Ok so if the military or mechanics in the military used a type of light sealant. I'm going to try to tighten my bolts down a bit more. If that doesn't work. I'll used some of that locktite sealant just around outoutside? And the two bolts? Very lightly.

davidb56

Gringletaube is correct. On our powerhouse generator oil tub, it originally was sealed with a yellow shellac substance like they coated electrical connections. the tub was 12' in diameter. when we overhauled it (it leaked a lot for years) we used a locktite brand anaerobic sealant. Im pretty sure it was 518, and it was expensive at the time, but worked great. It will seal very small irregularities, that tightening won't. Plus almost nothing will deteriorate it like what happens to RTV sealant etc.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would locktite 515 do the same thing I wonder?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No? Amazon has the 50ml tube and others, too. Cheapest I found is $12.12 But maybe you have to add shipping, there.
And Summit even has a 6ml tube, for $5.
I was impatient. I was going to our nearest city for groceries so I looked around here. 80miles from my home. I want to get it done tomorrow instead of waiting till next week.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow... 80miles to get the groceries....?! I just looked at the map; that city must be San Angelo, or?
Yes Sir We own a ranch just north of Ozona Texas. I'm also the Groundwater District Manager, We homeschool 3 small children and between all that and the Vol fire dept. I want to get it done before something else happens. San Angelo has much better choices than our store. Wanted to get what we could before they mandate mask wearing. We go to Angelo at least once a week.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So pictures this time pretty simple and straight forward. Undo front engine mounts. Plus drivers. Loosen passenger side all the way. And lift carefully. You could definitely overdo it if you go too high. Took booster pump off cleaned added the locktite 515. Put on new gasket for booster to engine and replaced. Don't forget to take intake from airbox to turbo loose as well. Here are some pics.IMG_20200627_135747276.jpgIMG_20200627_135807658.jpgIMG_20200627_135920687.jpgIMG_20200627_140839644.jpgIMG_20200627_142746708.jpgIMG_20200627_144609768.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks