• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taking the top off

1986Blazerk5

I have a M1009 and i want to take the top off since its going to be in the high 80's next week. Does anybody know how much the back top weighs?

Thanks

Crash_AF

Between 100 and 150 pounds. Two people can manage it, but three or four make it much easier.

Don't forget the bolts under the lip in the back and to put the bolts back for the tire carrier.

Later,
Joe

msoumas

Taking it off can be a one man operation if you're very careful. I've done it a few times, no problem. Putting it back on will a two man operation, because as others have pointed out it is more awkward than heavy.

Crash_AF

Or about 40 mph with the bolts out.
Of course, that only works once.

Oh, and make sure the back window is down when you attempt this or it'll die too.

Actually had that happen on a Bronco I was moving for a friend. He neglected to tell me that the top wasn't bolted down when we put it on the trailer. We lost it (and the back window) somewhere in Kansas.

Later,
Joe

Jett1

Former brother-in law mounted an old garage door then rigged up some rope with hooks. Then he would (with it unbolted) get in his Bronco hit the clicker up went the top and away he went. When he got home he would back in the same spot and hit the button again.

I would get pix if they were available, but that was 4years ago. He went and so did his stuff.

Last edited: