• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Talk me into it (or out)1008

asg13

Been reading as much as possible..i ve came across whats seems to be a full off restore of a 84 1008..35000 miles absolutley looks and drives great..however i will need it for hunting,hauling a ranger xp, as well as odds n ends firewood etc...it has 33x12s as of now. I do not plan ona ton of interstate driving but do not want to limit myself either. 100 mile round trip to my lease and 40 of that interstate in the wv mountains. I really love the truck but jus cant talk myself into it or out of it..prob get it for 4-5 grand. Agian its immaculate for wjat it is.. jus do not want to damage the motor by pushing it to keep up with speed possibly necessary.. torn here..how bout some help

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 are not speed demons. They where never designed to drive 75+mph. A 700R4 transplant helps ALOT.

4-5 Grand is a great price for a nice truck. They are selling for ~$3500 at the auction sites and require another $1000 to get them running good.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'mon man. If you can obtain the truck for 4-5 grand and it is as nice as you say it is, then what are you waiting for? If you want to increase highway speed without increasing RPMs, simply increase the tire height. My M1028 cruises at 55 MPH at 1950 RPM with surprising power. Go buy it!

Attachments

asg13

No crap man. Its nice. no rust. Pulled fllor mats to check tub as well..its a solid truck.

markg

C'mon man. If you can obtain the truck for 4-5 grand and it is as nice as you say it is, then what are you waiting for? If you want to increase highway speed without increasing RPMs, simply increase the tire height. My M1028 cruises at 55 MPH at 1950 RPM with surprising power. Go buy it!
can you fit 20" rubber under there without a body lift???

truck1

Get it! I own a 1028 and mainly use it to access my country property. 17-20 MPG is nice! It sure beats my '98 Dodge Ram V-10 @ 10 ! If it is a clean and mechanically sound as you say, that is a great deal. I have a 4" lift with 37's and a Gear Vendor so it is a decent highway truck. They will tow a lot of weight IF you are not in a hurry. Great rigs off road. The 1008 does not have the limited slip up front but I believe has the Detroit Locker in the rear. Be prepared to maintain and up grade - these rigs are 28 years old. But when running right they can't be beat. As a hunting rig with a 150 mile commute they are awesome. My run up to my land is about 150 miles also. My gas savings since purchase 3 years ago is about 60-70$ a trip. I go about 3 times a month. My buddies with newer Fords and Chevys get less mileage than my CUCV.

Disciple

You're definitely in the wrong place if you're looking for someone to talk you OUT of buying that truck. WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? I've had mine 3 years as a daily driver. Got mine with 32,000 miles on it, 2 years ago I went for the 4" lift and 37" HMMWV wheels and tires and I LOVE this truck! It has 65,000 on it now and still running great (except for my current broken starter bolt, being fixed). I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. I'll probably get a newer truck in a year or two but plan on keeping this thing as long as I can. I'll just keep fixing it. That's the beauty, for the most part they're relatively cheap and easy to fix because there's not much to them. They're simple. Simple is reliable. Mine is very reliable now that I've done a few basic things you would expect on a vehicle nearly as old as I am. It needs a few things worked on still and I'd love to do a full restore on it someday, but in the meantime I still get the "thumbs-up" going down the road at least once a week. I look at guys in their $50,000 trucks and laugh. My best friend has a 2011 F-150 with a 6" Fab-Tech lift on 35" Mickey Thompsons. He's running over 550 horsepower and my truck WALKS ALL OVER his off-road. He'll smoke me off the line no question, but I just pass him when he stops to refuel then later have to pull him out of the mud/ditch/snowbank/whatever his POS is currently stuck in. He's never once had to pull me out.

BUY IT!

asg13

Isnt the 1008 little worse on fuel compare to other models not really worried about fuel however 1415 would be a whole lot better than a 10.I think I may put an offer in on it and if it does not work for me just sell it it's one of those I have to have type deals it's killing me all it needs is a gun rack in a rebel flag sticker

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Been reading as much as possible..i ve came across whats seems to be a full off restore of a 84 1008..35000 miles absolutley looks and drives great..however i will need it for hunting,hauling a ranger xp, as well as odds n ends firewood etc...it has 33x12s as of now. I do not plan ona ton of interstate driving but do not want to limit myself either. 100 mile round trip to my lease and 40 of that interstate in the wv mountains. I really love the truck but jus cant talk myself into it or out of it..prob get it for 4-5 grand. Agian its immaculate for wjat it is.. jus do not want to damage the motor by pushing it to keep up with speed possibly necessary.. torn here..how bout some help
You might want to think about the SITE rules that you just read,
From the SITE rules
"• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read"

asg13

You might want to think about the SITE rules that you just read,
From the SITE rules
"• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read"
Sorry about that..yes it is a smartphone. However make note of where i reside, WV. Shouldn't i be allowed some leeway? Just a joke...thanks for the heads up!

truck1

I think it is time for you to search the CUCV threads . Lots of info there regarding lifts, tires, mechanics,etc. The CUCV is in my opinion one of the great entry vehicles to the hobby that you can drive every day if you wish. I love mine.

Durango_USMC

I dont think I get anywhere near 20MPG in my M1008. Maybe 14MPG, its all stock though, no 700R4 or GearVender overdrive, no lift. I definitely wouldnt recommend interstate highway travel bone stock and loaded down with a polaris ranger in the bed. But they are pretty good simple trucks. I like mine.

Disciple

What extra work will need to be done to allow for the 37s other than a lift?
Not to toot my own horn here, my truck is just one of many examples and I learned literally everything about my truck and how to lift it from other SS members, but I do think that my build thread (link below in my signature) is a decent place to start for someone looking for more info on how to properly get some 37's on your beast. I did my best to include lots of pics and links to vendors and highlighted certain road blocks to look out for. Hope it can be of use to you.

Dylan

I highly recommend getting it, I absolutely love my M1028 contact maintenance truck!
mine only had 20,000 miles, and has been very reliable!
only needed a few actual repairs since I got it nothing to bad or expensive.
Plus this site is a huge help with allot of useful intimation
I love all the looks people give me and love driving it!
Did some off road driving and seemed to do very well never got stuck, and may not drive fast but I find it drives real nicely on the highway at 55 mph. If you want to go faster you might want a gear vendor or a overdrive transmission I'll likely take the gear vendor route one day.
Fuel millage should be very good for you. I only get 12mpg in the city but my truck allot more heavy then a normal pickup do to the maintenance body and generator.
But go for it! You only live once remember that :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks