• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Talking on a Cell in a deuce

mangus580

clinto said:
I can't believe that even with a muffler, someone can use a cell in a deuce, heck, it's so loud I can't hear hand signals
Clinto made this statment one night in chat when we were talking about Desert Rat and his cell phone capable deuce. I talked to DR today as he was headed to San Antionio in Storm.... and wow, I was suprised. You could tell he was in something other than a car, as the background noise was evident, but you could totally carry on a normal conversation!!!

[thumbzup]

Amazing!!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive done it several times. The trick is to have crumpled up pieces of Carls Jr napkins in your ears to filter out the high pitch truck noises then you can hear perfectly on the cell phone, really.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hearing on the phone is less of an issue compared to being heard. While I understand the need for communications some time, I really don't want to be bothered by the sound of a cell phone while driving a deuce. Perhaps my views sre skewed, but that is my time away. With all that said, Peltor makes a patch cable for interfacing the cell with the Powercom headsets I use. Albeit a bit expensive, one day I'll probably get one. What's next on the elimination list after the noise is gone, getting rid of that nasty canvas smell? Speaking just for myself, I'm going to keep the "Deuce" in my deuce!

baja_power

Recovry4x4 said:
While I understand the need for communications some time, I really don't want to be bothered by the sound of a cell phone while driving a deuce.

I agree with this 100%. When i drive all my attention is with the truck. Whether it be watching where im going, checking the dash, or mirrors, I’m always doing something. Too busy to talk. If it’s important they will leave a voicemail.

Stiches

Ah come on, you should be able to eat, drink, talk on cell, type into laptop etc. ( oh yeah and drive) all at the same time like I see everyday in traffic.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't even own a cell phone. Pitched it several years ago. ONLY when the wife comes along (not yet in the deuce) do I have a cell phone. HERS.

I've seen people using TEXT MESSAGING while driving. Now that's scary.

rmgill

Frankly, I'd like my Deuce to be quieter so I can drive it longer with out feeling like I've been inside a trash can rolling down a hill. I'm looking at an annual trip of 10 hours or more to PA and lets face it, Deuce's are the most comfortable of trucks. Insulation that deaden's sound is easy, it's what to face it with on the inside and how to attach it so that it's not taking anything away from the truck. I try to drill as few holes as possible. Adhesives are a question too.

Jones

Jeez Kenny, anybody knows that pizza in a deuce should be accompanied with a finger bowl and linen napkins; and they can be stored in a tasteful rack mounted right behind your door pillar bud vases.
I agree cell phones are bad as a distraction. But then so is trying to read your snail mail, the sales contract, a fully deployed road map, putting on make-up or any of the other mindless things we all see going on out there. In rigs as big as ours an assistant driver is required; don't leave home without one.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jones said:
Jeez Kenny, anybody knows that pizza in a deuce should be accompanied with a finger bowl and linen napkins; and they can be stored in a tasteful rack mounted right behind your door pillar bud vases.
I just hang mine off the air hose for the windshield wipers. I MAY have to reinforce that hose when I put a new one in. Or just use a hose that has been wrapped in stainless steel... LOL

Note the tan towel with the 'palm tree' motif goes with the green paint and the tan paint overspray of my cab. I just couldn't FIND the correct OD GREEN bud vases. I am still looking...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rmgill said:
Frankly, I'd like my Deuce to be quieter so I can drive it longer with out feeling like I've been inside a trash can rolling down a hill. I'm looking at an annual trip of 10 hours or more to PA and lets face it, Deuce's are the most comfortable of trucks. Insulation that deaden's sound is easy, it's what to face it with on the inside and how to attach it so that it's not taking anything away from the truck. I try to drill as few holes as possible. Adhesives are a question too.
In the next two or three weeks, I will be ordering 200 sq ft of Fatmat. I will be using it for sound insulation in my 91 GMC Suburban and the cab of my deuce. The floor will be easy. Clean it, remove and then rough up any rust spots and then primer the floor. Then the Fatmat is just a peel and apply material. Over that will go a HEAVY rubber flooring material similar to what I used in my Sub. Maybe even the SAME material that I used in my SUB. The flooring will stop short of blocking the water drain holes in the sides of the door sills. Probably will use trim strips painted OD Green.

Then up the rear walls. Finally, sections cut to fit the hard top roof, so it doesn't interfere with any of the metal supports or screws. Finally I will be using some form of simple covered cloth panels that will mount to supports. I haven't decided yet exactly how I will do that. BUT I will document every step with words and photos. INCLUDING the purchase of a decibel meter which will be used to take before AND after readings.

Just because it's a RETIRED military truck doesn't mean that it can't be comfortable and quiet. It just takes work the US military didn't feel was necessary. Obviously it won't be a Caddy like ride, but it should quiet things down significantly.

So, about the cloth covered panels. OD GREEN or THREE COLOR CAMO? Or, you folks got another suggestion as to what type of cloth I should use?

M35guy

What? you guys mean you're not supposed to talk on the cell, put on your makeup, and read the newspaper while driving? I do it every chance I get. just kiddin I cant hardly stand driving a truck with more than a phone at my ear, which warrants pulling over to talk.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wallew, the towel cracks me up. I can't hang one there because it will block my rear view mirror. See the difference in the socio-economic background between myself and Wallew? I have the red shop rags in the cab of my truck.

Attachments

mangus580

I have an external speaker mounted there for a 2-way radio....

Might as well be a PA speaker for as well as you can hear it ;-)

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But, but, KENNY! YOU GOTTA MIRROR!

I am severly envious. I just figured no mirror was how they came. Now I've got one more thing to add to my 'gotta have' list.

Of course, with the rear curtain in place it's not much good, so I was thinking on adding a rear camera to my computer system I'm going to add to my truck. Probably hang it where your mirror is so I can fold it up against the roof headliner when it's not in use. Here is one that is on a Pinzie that is ALSO his GPS:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks