• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tall people in an M715

oilcan

Not exactly full size... More like a Dodge Dakota. I have more trouble with the cab width than height. I used to bump my elbows into the door and battery box while turning, until I got used to it.

Even short people have trouble getting in and out without getting brained on the side window frames while getting in and out.

TheWeatherMan

I am 6'3", when I had mine I fit fine in my truck. Never had too many problems with fitting in the cab. Now getting the darn thing to run because some genius put a V8 in it with a starter too small for the engine, that was another story.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cab is fine except for you have to watch the elbow and battery box as was said above. The low height door openings will brain you until a couple of hard lessons sink in how to get in and out. Other than that I consider it to be a tough truck. Lower the tire pressure a bit to get it to ride reasonable. It has heavy duty springs!
Regards Marti

missoula4x4

Thanks for the tips and info guys. I think once funds allow, an M715 might need to be in my driveway. Btw anybody run the 37" Humvee tires? Does it require any lift?

M715VFD405

I guess I'm the short one around here @ 5'10" I fit fine although if I'm not paying attention I have hit my head on the top getting out I turn my body and get my feet out first. I've never hit my elbows turning at all but I haven't been wheeling or anything so I haven't tested that to much. I also don't have stock seats so that may have something to do with it. As for setting in the truck it's comfortable to me I have a ton of head room so I would think someone taller wouldn't have any trouble at all. That goes for line of site as well although there are blind spots having the top on, but that's the same with almost every vehicle I've driven. Just my 2cents

M715VFD405

The M715 has a 16 inch wheel hummer tires are 16.5 so they won't fit the rim. You can have the rims customized (cutting out the centers and welding them onto the hummer rims.) but they won't work otherwise. Our lug pattern and rim width is a draw back for these trucks if you can find them Michelin use to make a 1100r16 (38") tire but they tend to run around $600 a tire and are rare. Interco makes a great aggressive tire that is the equivalent 9.00 16s (35") In short you can fit 38"s under the truck without modding the truck at all but they really don't make a thin tall tire anymore that will fit our rims.

Here is the link to an Interco dealer:
Super Swamper Tires Part SAM-53 - Q78-16LT, TSL Radial Tire
$298.00 a tire with a $25.00 shipping fee per order on tires.

I would also suggest going over to M715 Zone - Powered by vBulletin and searching around there. If it's been done to an M715 someone on there has done it.

missoula4x4

The M715 has a 16 inch wheel hummer tires are 16.5 so they won't fit the rim. You can have the rims customized (cutting out the centers and welding them onto the hummer rims.) but they won't work otherwise. Our lug pattern and rim width is a draw back for these trucks if you can find them Michelin use to make a 1100r16 (38") tire but they tend to run around $600 a tire and are rare. Interco makes a great aggressive tire that is the equivalent 9.00 16s (35") In short you can fit 38"s under the truck without modding the truck at all but they really don't make a thin tall tire anymore that will fit our rims.

Here is the link to an Interco dealer:
Super Swamper Tires Part SAM-53 - Q78-16LT, TSL Radial Tire
$298.00 a tire with a $25.00 shipping fee per order on tires.

I would also suggest going over to M715 Zone - Powered by vBulletin and searching around there. If it's been done to an M715 someone on there has done it.
I've seen the Q78s before. Buddy of mine ran them on hi suburban. Essentially tall and skinny TSLs.

I knew about the different wheel sizes. Was thinking if I did the Humvees, I'd get the 12 bolt rims to match and either have them recentered or run conversion spacers. Might do that after doing a whole drivetrain swap to a 12V Cummins, NV4500, an open knuckle Dana 60 front instead of the closed knuckle, and maybe throw in a new Dana 70 rear. Lockers would be in the plans too.

M715VFD405

Then your answer is yes they will fit under there as Mgil showed. There are some great info/build threads on the swaps your talking of doing be prepared to be reading a while lol. Keep us all posted on your progress and take lots of pictures.

saddamsnightmare

October 31st, 2012.

You guys should do well with an M715 if you learn to mind your head and elbow...If you want pain and suffering try a Unimog S404.114, you'll be a tri-athlete getting in, out and shifting gears, plus the steering, cab doors and doghouse will teach you the true meaning of "Karma".....:p

missoula4x4

Anybody ever modify the hard top and therefore doors to allow for better clearance? I know you can completely swap out cabs to a J-series.

missoula4x4

I've noticed some M715s have a sloped hard top, and some have a flatter one. Is this just a difference between years or is it something aftermarket?

M715VFD405

The hard tops you are seeing are probably 99% aftermarket. Although there was an artic top made for the m715. The sloped ones like mine left the top bow posts in place and built around them. They also help with rain the flat top would hold water. Most of them are just sheet metal and home built by fire depts/forestry services. You could make one as high as you want I guess. The trouble isn't really the head room it's getting out of the door even with a higher top it's not gonna help with the top of the window frame.

andrews

I have a top from Boyce equipment in Utah. I'm 6'4" 245lbs. I put a bench seat out of a J10 pickup in mine so my whole family can enjoy riding around in it. This seat is 4 to 5"s shorter than the stock seats which allows me to look out the windows without ducking down. I can still bump my head getting in if I'm not paying attention. My truck has a springover, shackle flip, cucv axles on 41" tires so I have to hop up in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks