• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taller Gargo Cover

AR MOG GEDDON

Taller Cargo Cover

I'm thinking about building my own cargo cover for my Deuce, I like the LMTV top that Varyag put on his Deuce, pictured below. I am wondering what some of you may have to add as input on building my own LMTV style cover? I am 6'2" and would like to stand upright in the back, would that make it too high for its own good?

Thanks
Jason.

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the standard ht cover acts like a sail now, More flat surface hitting the wind will be more resistance while driving.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind of like our M109. We still do 52mph easy w/ stock 9.00x20's.
Don't really know if it means anything other than the canvas gets more abuse. Sure don't seem to notice it, do know it when we get side winds:shock:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Man wish you were closer, mine came with a heat welded high top. The side stakes were just bolted in at their highest level. They just didn't add any to the back flap for some reason, I am looking for a standard top. I was hoping it was just sown on and I could pull the stitches and have a normal top, no such luck!

Attachments

dozer1

I'm 6'2" as well and know what you mean, but I can live with the standard height. I have a related question tho. Maybe you know this if you are into making a tarp, or someone else might. Were do I get replacement bungee straps for my tarp. Whatever you call it. The long black rubber strap that you hook over the hooks. Anybody?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm 6'2" as well and know what you mean, but I can live with the standard height. I have a related question tho. Maybe you know this if you are into making a tarp, or someone else might. Were do I get replacement bungee straps for my tarp. Whatever you call it. The long black rubber strap that you hook over the hooks. Anybody?
I am pretty sure it is called "rubber rope" and there used to be some listed in the classified section.

DUECE-COUPE

here is an idea to consider. i did this so i know it works. remove the cover you now have on the truck. mark the bows along the top of the side boards. take them out and measure 18" down from the line and drill a 1/4 in hole in the middle of the up rights. get some 550 cord and cut enough 2 ft pieces to match each upright. knot the ends and melt them to prevent fraying. get enough cotter pins that are 2" long and 1/4 inch thick to put in each hole drilled. tie the pin to the side board to keep the from getting lost and keep them handy for the set up. reinstall all of the bows and tarp. you travel in the down position and when you get to a place where you want to be free to walk around in the back of the truck, you unhook the tarp rubber rope from the hooks on the sides and cab end, and you push up the bow from the middle, starting at the tail gate end and working your way to the cab. while holding the bow with one hand, push the pin in the hole drilled in the up right. it helps to locate the hole if you paint the area of the hole with white paint before you drill the hole. this makes it easier to see during periods of limited light. i also ran canvas from the tail gate end of the bed all the way around the bed from the top of the side board to just below the top of the bed sides. this will keep you dry if it starts to rail. a plus is to park at a slight nose up level to make the rain flow towards the tailgate end of the bed. once the bows are pushed up, you can star rolling the cover by staring in the middle and working to the ends rolling inward to prevent the tarp from collecting rain in the rolls., hooking the straps on the inside of the cover to the loops on the outside of the cover. so pushed and rolled up and done. any questions PM me.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the name. I now have something to search. Didnt see it in the classifieds but google might know something,,thanks again..:D
MWMULES got you close........... do a search on SS for "super rope"-that'll get you what you need.

C

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a few of the lmtv covers. I am 6ft and use Hemtt bows. The lmtv covers are just not quite tall enough to stand up right. You will need one of the taller cargo covers to not have to bend over in the bed with the cover on.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We used to have a shop truck that I was able to stand up in, and I'm 6' 1". We also had sheets of white fiberglass like the kind lining semi trailers over the ribs and under the tarp. It helped keep water out and made it brighter inside since we had our parts and tool cabinets in the back. I don't recall any problems going down the road with it, but if you're following deuces that are standard height, you have to remember you're taller than them when going under trees, etc.
I've thought of another advantage of having a taller bows, and that is making some supports so you can untie the sides and put them on the bottom rail of the bed on the outside, and then connect them to the corners of the tarp. Then you use 550 cord and tent stakes and you have an awning like an RV. It would be a great setup for tailgating.

AR MOG GEDDON

If I do build my cargo cover from scratch, I could make it 6.5 feet or so, but I don't know if I want tan or OD canvas. Any votes out there for color?

Attachments

Stagg

I have an extended cover, and can't decide if I like it or not.

When I get somewhere, its perfect, and I have the coolest camper, sans an M109 box.
But traveling down the road the extra height pushes a lot of wind (just barely noticeable) and worst of all for me, I can't travel with my Antenna up. The military antenna(s) bends at the bottom, and can't fit around the higher cover.

Height wise thought, its still a lot shorter than a semi truck so fitting down the road isn't too bad.

Last edited:

gerrykan

I'm not sure what this cover belongs to, I bought it from a local guy that deals in surplus tents and canvas.
The first three pictures show it over the bows in their original position. I then raised the bows 13" .
I'm 5'11 and can stand in the back with about 4-5" of overlap on the bedsides, so it could be raised a little farther.
You have to get a little creative on the rubber rope tie-downs to get it tight. I now have it tighter than when these were taken

cover1.jpgcover2.jpgcover3.jpg
cover4.jpgcover5.jpgcover6.jpgcover7.jpgcover8.jpg

Last edited:

jesusgatos

If I was going to build a custom cargo cover, I'd almost definitely make it a pop-top. You could make it so that it's not any higher than the top of the cab when you're driving, but then would have plenty of room inside when you get wherever you're going. If you made it like an Alaskan Camper (like a shoebox), you could secure the top to the top/outer half of the frame, and then you wouldn't even have to adjust the top when you raise/lower it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Roy, that is an LMTV cargo cover. I use them and love 'em! I had to shorten my hemtt cargo bows 3.5" to work with the lmtv cover which is why I said the standard hemtt cargo cover should be the best option for the OP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks