• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tan CARC part number

Numbers

Numbers-
Whats the difference between tan and sand color- This is what confuses me! The current paint part numbers don't list "sand" only tan, but the people at the base all call the current mid-east color sand??? Which I think is the tan- but don't want a bunch of the wrong color...
I tried to find out where the paint scheme list with colors went before I posted but here it is now. Not much different but one is a little lighter.

FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color FS 33510 is the Dark Sandstone 33510

FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color FS 33446 is the Tan 33446

ida34

NDT, it's not a near instantaneous change from workable to hard like Bondo. It's just not good to open a gallon of CARC to do spot painting or touch-ups.

The one-part is a little trickier. It's not recommended to even stir the stuff when opened because that can "fold" air/moisture into the paint.
We use a paint shaker, pour the paint into the pot and immediately close the can. THEN, we store the once-opened paint cans upside down. When we turn the cans back over to do more painting, any surface skinning has formed on the "bottom" of the paint and we have fresh, liquid paint to draw from.
Here is something I do to keep the paint from skinning. I use it with the carc and I still have a can I opened a month ago. No skin at all. The trick I use is to put some Argon gas into the can when I am done before I close up the can. It displaces the air with the moisture in it. I am also very careful not to tip or agitate the paint after I have the argon in place. I use this with other paint but it is particularly important with the water activated one part carc. My paint does not skin. I am going to use the last of the gallon I opened this weekend and plan to spray until it is gone because once you open it you really should use it. No telling how long the argon trick will last. I also use a shaker to mix up the paint before I open it.

andytk5

This is what Sherwin-Williams 33446 CARC Tan looks like. I applied it with the $15-20 gun form Harbor Freight and then threw the gun away. The results are not body shop but alot better than many field applications I have seen.
That looks great! Does it match up pretty close to what the current deuces for sale look like? I'm just looking to get a paint to touch up my truck. WOuld you recomend hitting it in the peeling areas with a pressure washer then dry then paint?

Does that paint hold up and the exhaust well?
Thanks

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what Sherwin-Williams 33446 CARC Tan looks like.
Went to S-W today, guy said that number is a unique to customer/store reference, the only way it can be of help is to provide the store location/ph# so that my S-W guy can call your S-W guy and talk specifics. NB - that number in my S-W store relates to a specific commercial customers funny shade of pink!

"CARC" didn't produce anything else either!

Fingers crossed - cheers.

Hope you are still monitoring this thread - thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks