• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tan paint came out too yellow?

firefirefire90

Hello all. I went ahead and first started painting my truck with the krylon camouflage khaki and also tested sand and didn't really think either matched the CARC 686 paint, so I went ahead and tried out the Behr formula. I'm not sure what to think of my results. At one angle(the side) I think it looks just right, but then I look at the back of the truck and it looks very yellow. Will this change during the curing process? Any information/opinions are appreciated. In the pictures you can see the bumper is still painted in the krylon khaki vs the behr paint.

This is the forumla I used

Dan Martin & Alex Gordon (Idaho Motor Pool) formula for Desert Tan

Home Depot - Base = BEHR Ultra Flat Base Pastel Base (4855/2-4855)

Colorant............ OZ... 48... 96
C-Yellow Oxide... 5..... 17.... 0
E-Thalo Blue....... 0..... 43 ... 1
F-Red Oxide....... 0 ......16.... 0
thank you

Attachments

Cucvnut

hey when i get my truck running we should meet up! I use the tan carc stuff but your kr
Formula looks good.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Color looks right on the money. None of the Krylon colors are mil-spec matches from what I can tell.

KsM715

It was mentioned in another thread that the OD green goes on a brighter than expected color but darkens and flattens out when it cures. Maybe this will happen with the tan. Give it while to cure then let us know what it does.

(It does look good in the pics now though)

firefirefire90

ah okay thanks fellas. Glad to know it looks alright. I left the truck out and the fog did a number on the paint. Left streaks all on the sides. What a shame. Put the truck inside and hopefully another coat will help it out!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates on what spray paint best matches the 686 tan? I am going to touch up my MEP-002A and would like to see if I can get a can of krylon or rustoleum tan paint to best match the 686 paint. My main reason for the touch up is to get rid of the writing they painted on the side of the generator like “all fluids drained” and other writing. I think I can gently spray it on and try to blend it with the other colors.

caliber1

I've used the Krylon and Rustoleum sand colors on my Deuce. They are a little darker than what is on the truck, but it sat in the sun in Jax for almost 4 years so was expected.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used the Krylon and Rustoleum sand colors on my Deuce. They are a little darker than what is on the truck, but it sat in the sun in Jax for almost 4 years so was expected.
and your truck was 686 tan when you got it? Do you prefer one over the other? When I looked online it seemed like the khaki paint seemes to be a better match? I am just wondering if somebody thought one was better than another. Having the sun fade the paint makes a big difference and would be hard to match. It looks like the sand is darker than the khaki paint.

caliber1

I'm guessing it's 686. The khaki seemed too dark. I've used mostly rustoleum tan to touch up the exhaust after the muffler install, and a few other spots. Matches pretty well. That's it in my avatar.

Edit, I stand corrected. The color on the can is SAND. Part number 263653 of their specialty Camouflage line of paints.

and your truck was 686 tan when you got it? Do you prefer one over the other? When I looked online it seemed like the khaki paint seemes to be a better match? I am just wondering if somebody thought one was better than another. Having the sun fade the paint makes a big difference and would be hard to match. It looks like the sand is darker than the khaki paint.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks