• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tan paint question

Milbikes

The paint on my soon-to-arrive M1008 is pretty nasty. It looks like it was painted with a cat on a stick. After a lot of searching previous posts on paint, I am still needing some tips. I like the look of the tan paint that the Desert Shield/Desert Storm trucks wore. As a shop teacher, I think if I drove in to work with a full camo paint job, some of my work mates would get a little.....different. I think a solid tan (With an inverted black V) would slip by. I also like the look of the solid tan. I researched some paint codes on a linked site, and there were a lot of weird tans. If anyone has pics of a tan painted vehicle, along with a paint brand/code, I'd be happy to look at a pic.

I have sprayed a fair amount of paint in the past, and like spraying. My safety gear would be a cartridge type respirator and a disposable suit. I would spray outside. I would sand the truck first with a sander attached to a shop vac, and wear my safety gear.

Do any of the military tan colors come in a semi-gloss, or are they all flat? Thanks for any tips. Hal

Green_gator

Hal,
You can get any of the paint colors that you want in a flat, semi gloss, or full on gloss. Any good paint shop can whip it up based upon the color code. I am using a paint that is a urethane based ultra flat. With the catalyst and hardener added it is lands somewhere beteen flat and semi gloss. The advantage is that it cleans more easily and does not absorb every spill. I can get you the specifics on the paint if you are interested. It is a light industrial paint used on things like school buses and trucks.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here is a pic of a M1009 that has tan military CARC paint on it, i am repainting it back that that scheme with sherman williams waterborne CARC paint. hope that helps some.

who cares what the other teachers think? be yourself, its a free country IMHO

Attachments

Tanner

Quote:

"The paint on my soon-to-arrive M1008 is pretty nasty. It looks like it was painted with a cat on a stick."

This has to be the best comment I've read all day... can I borrow this? :D

'Tanner'

Milbikes

Thanks for the tips. Paint codes welcome. As far as keeping co-workers happy.....it makes life easier. My command car is green, and I think the M1008 looks good in tan, so that's my main reason for color choice. I have my armed forces posters displayed on my classroom window, with no rumblings that I have heard. In fact, my school supports the armed forces quite well. The school did a drive to collect items to send to our men and women in the services, and the students really put forth the effort. At an assembly, we honor our students who have enlisted, and former students who are enlisted. The school really values that. We even say the pledge of allegiance every morning, and nobody complains! There is hope.... If only rap music would die out and go away, and stop infecting our kids. As I tell them, you can't spell cr*p without rap!

usmarines72

I remember sitting in a huge steel structure painting CARC on our trucks with household paint brushes for Desert Storm. Now we find out how toxic that stuff is. Oh well, not dead yet

emr

simple answer is yes there is a semi gloss, the first gulf war was a semi gloss tan, the current gulf war is a very sandy texture and very very flat. Arvoe has the almost perfect current tan , It is a hands down match when I park up at the field here, with my sideways V for the current conflict, the upside down V is the first conflict.....i love the sandy and the semi gloss , I do not know if any hobby paint guys have the semi, U could call Al Haage the paint guy, he knows whats up for sure, 609 953 1003 is His number, he is a stand up guy and will tell u what is easy to get, i find that the paint one chooses should be at a place easy to deal with and close or at least will ship at a moments notice, i find i always need some after hours, Al calls right back and sends right out... My 2 cents, ..Good luck...randy

Warren Lovell

HRF 233 - Desert Tan

If originality is what you like, go Carc... just remember they don't last long and are meant to be recoated when they lose their flat ability.

My 2 cents...if you're putting all the work into prepping and painting a vehicle, why not use a paint that will last. This Kustom Flatz paint shoots easy, is urethane, and has UV inhibitors. You can buy it over the internet, and comes in a kit. I used a 1/4 gallon to paint my M1009 top inside and out - 2 good coats.

I have a garage kept WWII jeep, and used Gillespie paint...Is has no resistance to staining or scratching, Same with my deuce...

So like the others said, you can have any quality paint flattened or semiglossed. But doing so decreases the life of the paint.

Warren

DanMartin

OK, this worked out *great* for me:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/145918-post18.html

Latex house paint...good quality stuff. Stuck to the primer well too. So far so good. Very flat, and will not fade in sunlight (or at least not yet). And it's like $25 a gallon mixed up at Home Depot/Lowes. Shoot it on with a Wagner, airless, or air sprayer (I use a HVLP gun and thin the paint out with distilled water). Non-toxic (well...as non-toxic as house paint is).

Here's pics of the truck: Tires pictures by dantheman29a - Photobucket
(it now has a tan top)

2+ years, no problems. Looks great IMO. Nobody can tell until you let them in on the secret. :)

saddamsnightmare

March 3rd, 2010.

Milbikes:

"Saddam's Nightmare" , in the icon annexed is 686A tan which was used in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm in 1990/1991. This truck was depot rebuilt and painted at that time as everything is 686A tan except the engine bay and the cab interior, where the original OD semi Gloss from 1971 survives in somewhat faded condition. The inverted "V" on the doors were used in Operation Iraqi Freedom initially to avoid confusion with Saddam's vehicles, but the Iraqi insurgents picked that up and currently our vehicles have numbers on the doors in black. Ask BullDogMack13, he can probably point you towards some photos more current then mine. I would suggest using the magnetized rubber sheeting used for vehicle door signs, cut to size and shape and painted flat black camo, that way you can put it on or take it off as needed. The inverted "V" was approximately 20" tall X 20" wide on the deuce and a half, so the CUCV may be in proportion. Sometimes it looks like they used a string mop to paint some of the vehicles, from the paint textures I've seen.....

Good Luck,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:driver:

saddamsnightmare

March 4th, 2010.

Thanks USMCsniperSEAL:

That was a great little link and confirmed my guesstimate of the size(s) used on the M35A2, as all I could do is scale off the photos. Not bad, but I tend to stay away from decals myself as they are a pain to put on (if you're a paint kind of guy) and I always suspect the generate rust from water working under.... Of course, if you're in the Iraqi desert, probably not a big issue....

Thanks and cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

Iraqi Militaria

The paint on my soon-to-arrive M1008 is pretty nasty. It looks like it was painted with a cat on a stick. After a lot of searching previous posts on paint, I am still needing some tips. I like the look of the tan paint that the Desert Shield/Desert Storm trucks wore. As a shop teacher, I think if I drove in to work with a full camo paint job, some of my work mates would get a little.....different. I think a solid tan (With an inverted black V) would slip by. I also like the look of the solid tan. I researched some paint codes on a linked site, and there were a lot of weird tans. If anyone has pics of a tan painted vehicle, along with a paint brand/code, I'd be happy to look at a pic.

I have sprayed a fair amount of paint in the past, and like spraying. My safety gear would be a cartridge type respirator and a disposable suit. I would spray outside. I would sand the truck first with a sander attached to a shop vac, and wear my safety gear.

Do any of the military tan colors come in a semi-gloss, or are they all flat? Thanks for any tips. Hal

I agree Tan does look great..

Lorenzo