• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank filling

rustystud

Make sure you run out of fuel where you have a nice place to park. If you run out on an overpass with no room to pull over, don't stop there go a little further where there is a nice wide spot.
The problem with running out of fuel is, your out of fuel ! You don't have an option of where you will park. All you can do is coast as far as you can.

2deuce

sorry Rustystud....that is exactly why I said earlier not to let it run out of fuel. I expect others suggesting running out of fuel were pulling your let too, but you never know for sure.... they may have been serious, and foolish.

tim292stro

Syphon all fuel from tank to see what you have.
I agree with this. Empty the tank, drop it, pull the filler neck, fuel gauge float, and take a look inside with a flashlight. Then you'll know the condition of your tank and hardware - you'll also know how much fuel is in there. For a single saddle tank on a pickup/ambulance style CUCV, the tank is ~21 Gallons. For the Blazer style it's ~25 gallons.

If you're worried about running out of fuel in a pickup/ambulance style, you can add a second saddle tank for another 21 gallons, for the blazer you can do a 31 gallon tank without modification, or a 40 gallon Suburban tank with heavy modification...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that even a half full saddle tank can be easily lowered and raised into place with a less expensive trans jack for those who have one in their arsenal of tools.

rustystud

My truck came with dual tanks and both where rotted out. I installed "poly" tanks with new pick-ups and screens and have had no problems since. I don't know what it is about this tank design but it seems to "encourage" rot ! So anyone adding a new tank I say go with a "poly" tank.

jpg

I have filled avoiding the foam aw well... I even went and got a 2 gallon gas can to pour it in. I know I have less than 2 gallons in my tank and even with the gas can one gallon is all I can get into it before it backs up with no foam at all....
How do you *know* how much fuel is in the tank?

I've been tracking fuel mileage closely, so I always fill until clear fuel touches the visible weld line in the fill neck, about 8" below the cap. The process is a bit fussy, as I have to let the foam settle, and foam/fuel do "glug" out of the overflow on the side of the fill neck at times. But I let the foam settle and add slowly until I get clear diesel lapping against that weld line. That's my reference point for consistently filling the tank to the same point, so I can calculate MPG. I use car pumps, I've not tried the bigger truck pumps, but the goal is the same.

I fill up when the gauge reads 1/4 tank, and it takes about 15 gallons, so my gauge seems accurate. Many are not.

It's tough to imagine a circumstance where the truck runs fine and the tank won't accept fuel. Maybe if kids filled the tank with golf balls or something as a prank...

If you fill until you get clear fuel to that weld line, drive 75 miles, and it only takes 2 gallons to refill to that weld line again, that makes no sense. 37.5 MPG isn't in the cards for CUCVs. If you're relying on the pump shut-off or the fuel gauge to tell you when the tank is full, don't.

Please get back to us on exactly how you determine that the tank is full. It may be time to drain the tank, drop it, and take a look inside...