• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank Pump

FormerNewMVGuy

My tank pump was not working. I checked the fuse it was good. test light power everywhere. now i pull the pump out of the tank turn on the switch and nothing.....
I then give it a little tap with a small ball pean hammer and it starts to run! I put it back together and hit the switch..... Nothing, I then smack the tank and the pump starts running. Now it is working fine each time i turn on the switch. Should i be concerned about this? Should i think about getting another pump? The sealed connection on the pump itself is very rusty looking could this be a problem?

Thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cable feeds 24 volts and ground to the pump, no other ground connection. Make sure wire #79 is properly grounded to the frame of the vehicle.
When connected, this one ground also grounds the fuel level sending unit and provides a static protection ground for the tank, all via the pump, so it's important.

jwaller

Egay. they come up every now and then. I got tired of buying them so I bought one from memphis. very pricy but has a Yr warranty. so far I've exchanged 3 this year.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the information in these threads about in-tank fuel pumps.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....9&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13221

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13019

I saved my old pump, which was inop when I decided to go new. I bought the new one from www.tnjmurray.com and the problems went away. A little bit more $$ than I was planning, but if I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't have bought it, I guess. Anyway, one day i may try to explore the possibilities of repairing the old one. It looks a bit, "sealed," and maybe was not intended for overhaul.

If and when you drop the new pump in, remember that the one they ship may not be set/adjusted to the same height as the one you have. It's simple to do, but if you've already applied gasket goo that has a quick set-up time... well... you'll learn like I did. Also, like anything else, tweek down all the screws and bolts that hold it all together before install. Stainless-steel replacement hardware is wise. You may also want to add some lock washers that might not already be on the assemblyl.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OD Iron has a remote mount pump that saves big bucks. He states its up to the flow requirements but I've heard of several installations that weren't. I'd rather stay with an in tank pump but economics may force me to do otherwise in the future.

FormerNewMVGuy

Well i have total pump failure :( I've been pricing these units everywhere and holey cow are they expensive :!: Is 395. the going price for these things? Had to call the paramedics to come and jump start my heart after i saw that!!!!
I do want to stick with the original style pump, but WOW! Well I'm going to go wipe the tears out of my eyes now!
Scott

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For the most part, the Deuce is a cheap big truck to own.......(a Deuce clutch costs less than the last clutch I put in my Road Runner) but there are a few items which aren't cheap:

Radiators
Injection pumps
Fuel pumps

dmetalmiki

Just a thought..for such a (tough)((reliable military use))truck I think the pumps in these trucks begger belief for c..p design!! (just) how did the designer come up with "magnetic" plates to drive it? (which get contaminated with carbon "falling" down from the brushes on the motor..!! ANOTHER c...p idea!..I had a pump fail right on a roundabout(circle in the road! OHHH yes I (just happend to) had a spare with me..when i was later testing it (same as you..(biff clout!) I sorta got mad and ANGLE GRINDED the sucker apart!! replaced the bushes CLEANED that STUPID magnet.THEN..DONT DO THIS AT HOME (unless 100000% skilled welder AND KIT!) welded it up again! refitted..done 3000 miles to date no prob!..begger THAT expense!! lol I do ALL mine like that nowdays.(duznt apply if motor burnt out!)

dmetalmiki

as a p.s. I have five of these trucks and if I experienced the probs encounterd by J..I would give up the hobby OR make another (better!) pump do the job..at 3 per year 5 trucks..$350..a time...CRIPES!!! <yeah>(OR montego ..which has done 274000 miles still ok!!)DOES real fine..also My local truck wrecking yard is an exelent source of parts to modify/replace these old miliatry Items. have you given this a thought ? good luck..KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!

FormerNewMVGuy

Thanks for the advice.I like the fact that you cut it apart and welded it back to gether! that take some real talent. I am a tig welder ,Well that is what i have, Its an older miller dial arc 10-300 amp High frequency with remote, But i dont know if im confident enough to give it a try.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the patent. Read all about it. Keep in mind that these pumps have often been in use for 35 years at this time. I haven't really had any problem with them, blew a fuse once, but nothing major....logged thousands of miles.

Attachments

FormerNewMVGuy

Thanks for the info! I think i would like to stay original equipment, I looked at the after market external on od iron But would rather go with the oe stuff, and with no take offs to be found I'll be spending for the new one.
I dont want to run without it and smoke the injection pump
And if i went through 3 pumps in a year like jwaller I would be chasing them guys at memphis equipment around with a stick! Of course it could be an issue with his truck?

jasonjc

I've been driveing mine for 2 years now with NO intake pump with no problems. But now that I got the new M109 and see how much better it runs. I will be checking into it more. The 109 does have the FDC bypassed and this may have more to do with it than the intank pump.?.?.

FormerNewMVGuy

Just thought i would post this, I bought a brand new intank pump assembly,not rebiult like memphis equipment sells . I bought this pump from tnj murray in delaware for 395. and had it the next day for 10.00 shipping :) memphis wanted 441.00 plus the shipping was over 20.00 ! easternsurplus was 425. plus shipping. Just thought i would pass this on to the group :)

twinfiftys

I'm a little late with this, but been busy. My pump was doing exactly what you described. I took the so called sealed electrical fitting apart and found a slip together fitting that was about to fall apart. I soldered the two ends together, put the sealed outer fitting back together with JB weld and it works like new.