• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tanks from the past

Wolf.Dose

How to start?
Papabear, the half track you took on your picture seems to be a 5 ton Buesing, of which I know only one other existing.
The Koenigstiger (King Tiger) (pic 5 and 8 uses the late rubber saving road wheels. I know only very little King Tigers existing, one at Saumur (F) in running condition, one in Bowington (GB), one in Munster (Panzermuseum), not running, no transmission and one owned by Wegmann, Kassel, no engine. The one in Saumur I saw driving in 1980, when I was there. My friends did ride on the tank, I took the pictures for them.
Pic 10 is a Panther, however the turret is covered, so it is difficult to say, which version.
Wolf

Last edited:

RealCavDog

Them tankers from Fort Knox have brought so much armor here that GA has sunk 2 feet below sea level!!!....Here's some more stuff:

Been out of touch for awhile, but am I to understand the Armor Training Center at Ft. Knox is moving the bulk of thier collection ?

I used to be all over that stuff during '79 and '80 ! Had to do a short stint of Tanker duty and vehicle operation cross training with our guest Marines before they shipped us all to Texas ! They kept most of our training hid under the curtain of "Armored Recon"' so we had to know a little something about them !

Got to see one of the first protype M-1 Abrahms with a closed preview, and then that was about the end of hands on the big stuff !

After that, 4 men was a very, very large group gathering out in the field !, Of course those were the folks we were scouting for at the time !

Awesome shots of some very rare BigBoy toys !

Das Uber Soldat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, starting with post #16, here's the few I know.

1. GMC DUKW
2. M113(a1?) APC
3. Unknown
4. M578 (I think) Recovery Vehicle
5. LVTP-5 http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvtp5.php
6. Appears to be an Isreali Super Sherman* (Thanks Atomic)
7. Some form of a Sherman tank.
8. British Centurian*
9. Unknown
10. Unknown. Curious about the piece mounted to the turret.

11. Swedish "S" Tank*
12. Unknown
13. WWII German halftrack. I forget the name.
14. Soviet BTR-60*
15. British CVR(W) Fox, similar to a Ferret*
16. M-551 Sheridan*
17. Unknown
18. M22 Locust Airmobile Tank*
19. M3A1? Scout Car
20. M42 Duster Mobile Anti-Aircraft Gun

21. M8 Greyhound*
22. M-3 Lee.*
23. Number 5 for the back
24. GMC DUKW again

Thanks to B3.3T for identifying #8,11,14,15,16,18,21,22.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Been out of touch for awhile, but am I to understand the Armor Training Center at Ft. Knox is moving the bulk of thier collection ?
The Armor School has been moved to Fort Benning to be with the Infantry School.

Fort Benning is now home of the "Manuver Center of Excellence".

Background

The Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) 2005 recommendations became law on Nov. 9, 2005. One of the many elements of this law is that the U.S. Army Armor Center and School will relocate from Fort Knox to Fort Benning. As part of TRADOC’s transformation, the activities relocating from Fort Knox along with activities currently at Fort Benning, Georgia, notably the U.S. Army Infantry Center and School, will integrate to establish the Maneuver Center of Excellence (MCOE).

RealCavDog

The Armor School has been moved to Fort Benning to be with the Infantry School.

Fort Benning is now home of the "Manuver Center of Excellence".

Thanks for the update ! Dang, I try to keep up with Ft. Hood as best I can, even though my old unit got deactivated , well, reorganized, a while back, but kind of lost track of the goings on in Kentucky ! Got a bit distracted a few years back with a divorce !

Again, Thanks for the background info also ! I LOVE THIS SITE !

Last edited:

Atomic

PapaBear you have my respect! Thanks!!!

6. Appears to be a Sherman Chassis, but I don't recognize the turret
I think and I maybe wrong, but isn't that the Super Sherman the Israeli's produced after WW2?

Sweet shots!:beer:

Danger Ranger

Okay, starting with post #16, here's the few I know.

1. GMC DUKW
2. M113(a1?) APC
3. Unknown
4. M578 (I think) Recovery Vehicle
5. It's a USMC amphibious APC that seats like 25, can't remember the name
6. Appears to be an Isreali Super Sherman
7. Some form of a Sherman tank.
8. Unknown. The Abrams prototype that's being talked about?
9. Unknown
10. Unknown. Curious about the piece mounted to the turret.

11. Unknown
12. Unknown
13. WWII German halftrack. I forget the name.
14. BRDM?
15. British Ferret Armored Recon Vehicle
16. Unknown
17. Unknown
18. Stuart light tank?
19. M3A1? Scout Car
20. M42 Duster Mobile Anti-Aircraft Gun

21. M8 or M20 Greyhound
22. Forget the name. Lulubelle from the Bogart movie "Sahara".
23. Number 5 for the back
24. GMC DUKW again
I think #11 is Swiss or something like that, it was on a top ten tanks show. It was very unusual I remember.

B3.3T

#8 British Centurian, #11 Swedish "S" Tank, #14 Soviet BTR-60, #15 British CVR(W) FOX, #16, M-551 Sheridan, #18 M-20 Locust, #21 M-8, #22 M-3 Lee

Wolf.Dose

O.K., I checked them all and try to give the correct names to all the pics.
Starts with
#1 Seems to be a Mark VII or Mark VIII from the relics of WWI.
#2 seems to be a Buffalo or an Aligator
#3 semms to be a Mark VII or Mark VIII (see #1)
#4 is a T72
#6 is a Koenigstiger (King Tiger)
#8 also
#9 is a T72
#10 is a Panter Version not cleasr, can not see the turet configuration)
#11 is a MK VII or VIII, see above,
#13 is a Buffalo or an Alligator
#18 is a DUKW 1943 or later
#19 is a M113 with gas egine
#20 is a M551,
#21 I have never seen before (LTV proto??)
#26 is a Super Sherman as used in Israel (HVSS, dry tracks)
#28 is a M3 wrack with some attachments I have never seen before,
#29 is a Centurion
#31 is a T55 with modifications, which I do not know,
#34 is a swedisch streetwagen 101 (Streetwagen stands for fighting carriage or simply tank)
#35 I do not know
#39 is a Buessing 5 ton prime mover for artillerie
#40 is a BTR 60 according to the side doors
#42 is a British Fox
#51 is a M551
#53 I do not know
#54 is a Stuart
#55 is a M3 A1
#56 is a M42 Duster
#57 a M8 Greyhound
#62 is a M3 Grant or Lee
#65 I do not know (LVT prototype?)
#68 is a DUKW after 1943

Last edited:

B3.3T

The numbering everyone is using is confusing. But, 29 is a British Centurian, not Chieftain. 34 is Swedish "S" tank as mentioned.

Wolf.Dose

B3.3T,
sorry, you did not catch the last correction. Of course it it is a Centurion (based on the latin exprsion for a leader of a centurie, means 100 slodiers) and a Swedish type S, which is called in Sweden a Streetwagen 101, S for Streetwagen (fighting car or carriage, 101 is the type standardised, please refer to the observer's military vehicles directory and simelar sources). The Leopard II swedisch version is the steetwagen 103. The Streetwagen 101 had a diesel engine and for exta power a gas turbine, which almost never was used for too much noise and heat radiation. Suspension was hydropneumatic, means the gun was dircetet to the target by leveling the suspension to the correct level.
Wolf

ChoLargo66

M32 Recovery Vehicle

Them tankers from Fort Knox have brought so much armor here that GA has sunk 2 feet below sea level!!!....Here's some more stuff:
Good day to all:
I was looking at your pictures and they looked awsome... I am an active Soldier in the Army and I was given the mission to restore an M32 Recovery Tank by my BN CDR. I just want to know if you can direct me to the right people who can help me out on obtaining parts for this unique piece of equipment. I will appreciated any one help in this matter. Thanks and have a good day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks