• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tansmission fluid change question

FLINT

I just finished replacing all the fluids in my m1028.

All went well I think but have two quick questions

1. i replaced the trans filter, and didn't pay attention when I took the old one off, but when I put the new one on, I realized that that spacer that goes over the bolt inbetween the filter and the tranny - when the bolt is tight, the spacer wasn't tight between the tranny and the filter - so why have a spacer if it doesn't space anything correctly - or did I do something wrong? with the bolt tight the filter could still kind of bobble up and down a little. hope its ok, i've already sealed/RTVed and bolted the pan back on and added fluid.

2. the TM says that the tranny holds 4 quarts of fluid. So I put 4 quarts back in and it barely registers on the dipstick with the engine hot and idling. I added a little more and i think its starting to rise, but I didn't want to just keep adding fluid if there definitely is only supposed to be 4 quarts in there. anyone ever have to add more than 4 quarts????

the transfer case held between 4 and 5 quarts which is about right with the TM. and the front and rear diff capacities were correct as well.

Thanks for any input! love the CUCV, want to treat her right.

ryan77

That should be normal theres a little play in the filter and the bolt that holds it! The trans takes 5-6 qt i believe! 12 quarts if converter was drained!

engineman2

ATF in a T-case?

Yeah that gets a lot of people. Some cucv's had the np205 gear driven transfer case for the p.t.o. capability. These require gear oil for proper lubrication. However, most cucv's had the np208 chain drive transfer case because it has a lower low range gear ratio. This case has an internal oil pump to push the atf around inside the case and lube everything. Strange but it works. :beer:

Skinny

Yeah that gets a lot of people. Some cucv's had the np205 gear driven transfer case for the p.t.o. capability. These require gear oil for proper lubrication. However, most cucv's had the np208 chain drive transfer case because it has a lower low range gear ratio. This case has an internal oil pump to push the atf around inside the case and lube everything. Strange but it works. :beer:
I have a pto np205 in my M1031 which I have to change the fluid this week. I'm pretty sure it calls for Dexron II, not gear oil.

engineman2

Hmmm, that must be because it is recommended that atf be used when mated to an auto trans in case a seal fails. Some shop manuals state it doesn't matter because there is a seal there and others say you must run the same fluid as in the trans. 80/90 Gear oil would probably be the best choice for an np205 if you have faith in the seals to keep them from mixing and you live in an area where it doesn't get extremely cold in winter. But you are right skinny, the TM does state that atf should be used in the np205.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks