• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tap N Die Starter Bolt holes. Yep it happened.

OuttaTheWayPECK

1985 m1009 6.2
So, finally happened the starter bolts both broke off up in the block yesterday. thankfully in my driveway. started attempting to drill them out. the extractor kit I had didn't do the trick. So got some new one extractor kits coming, got new starter bolts, but might end up having to rethread the block. possibly. has anybody covered the right tap n die sizing for this situation yet? The set I have is missing most of the kit. I can buy individuals so if anybody has a direction for me, I'd appreciate it. This job might seem simple to some but I've never been down this road before, so any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1985 m1009 6.2
So, finally happened the starter bolts both broke off up in the block yesterday. thankfully in my driveway. started attempting to drill them out. the extractor kit I had didn't do the trick. So got some new one extractor kits coming, got new starter bolts, but might end up having to rethread the block. possibly. has anybody covered the right tap n die sizing for this situation yet? The set I have is missing most of the kit. I can buy individuals so if anybody has a direction for me, I'd appreciate it. This job might seem simple to some but I've never been down this road before, so any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.
I recently had a starter bolt break off. First time experience for me too.

I got a reverse drill bit, took a bit of asking for at different stores, but finally found one that could get me one.

After a bit of very carefull drilling the drill caught the broken piece and drove it out.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have a support bracket on the front end of the starter motor?

snowtrac nome

The answer to your question is what size is the threads, they are 10 mm x 1.50 thread pitch they should come out easily unless some expert used red locktite. I never use a thread sealer on them as I know some day they are going to break and I will have to extract them.
I have seen a few instances where the threads got bugered from some one extracting them wrong or cross threading bolts in that case I drilled them over sized and used thread inserts. Good luck if they have red locktite you will likely have to use an oxy gas torch to get the fastener hot enough to remove it.

snowtrac nome

Usually not because the threads are recessed. you should use starter bolts for a gm product, not just some bolts bought from your local fastener shop.

cucvrus

Just for the record. The 6.2 has metric M10 X 1.5 bolts on the starter.(As Mentioned) I have seen many that they used 3/8" x 16 bolts. And they held but not as tight as they should have been. Just for the record. The thread pitch is that close between the 2. Have a Great day.

dependable

If you can't back it out with a reverse drill and extractor (defiantly try the drill first), you can use drill it out and use a correctly sized Helicoil. I had to do this years ago on my first 6.2 shortly after I bought it. The repair lasted years until the truck was retired due to rust. Just be very careful drilling it out, you only get one shot at it.

OuttaTheWayPECK

you guys are awesome, thank you! I drilled and bought a couple extractor kits. I broke like 4 regular bits, broke like 6 left handed bits, one reverse bit grabbed one of the bolts way up there in the block. (nope I didn't have any sticking out of the block to do the weld a washer trick on) so, basically, carefully and sometimes not so carefully drilled the **** outta the one hole. wasted some of the threads, but still have thread enough that I was able to buy new hardened steal bolts and got the starter back up there and tightened down and snug. answer to a question, yes I have the front bracket. after dealing with the holes. I noticed the front bracket wasn't tight at the frame bolt side. it was able to swing away. so I think I know what happened. I think, the front bracket loosened, left all the torque on the 2 back bolts. and just snapped them puppies. thankfully I did not have to rethread the block to a larger bolt pattern. All is well. lesson learned here for me is, do more preventative maintainence more frequently to catch simple issues before they become a big problem HAHAHA. Thanks everybody!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks