• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tapping noise

Rebelpride

I have noticed thru the winter and sometimes here lately when I crank my truck with a cold engine there seems to be a tapping sound comming from the drivers side of the engine, and it goes away when I start driving. Is this normal for these trucks? Do I need a tune up? Or will I be rebuilding my engine soon?

Alredneck

Banned
Is it a bad glow plug, have you changed those sense you had the truck. they are notorious for going out. That or have the valves checked to see if a guide or seat is stuck. I would defiantly get it looked at sooner than later or you may be rebuilding your motor and compared to a chevy gasser way more money. Captain

HeadWizard

When you go to change the glow plugs, be careful when you remove them as they will sometimes swell up inside the head and won't want to come out after they are unscrewed. Before you try, soak them down with PB Blaster, Deep Creep, or the like for a day or two in advance. If they unscrew but don't want to come out, apply air pressure to the cylinder and sometimes they will blow out.

2cents

cleb

I have had a tapping/nocking noise on the M1009 I used to have. It got progressively worse over a couple minute period, and then I just stopped it and had it towed. Long story short, the rod that the rockers rock on is held in by a bolt at each end. Mine was loose on one end, and caused noise, smoke, low compression, etc. Tightend the bolt, and life was good. I also had all 8 of my glowplugs swell. You can't pull them out with the swollen heads. Some people break them off, and try to blow the head out with compressed air. Here's how I did it, effective but risky. Pull the injectors on affected cylinders out. Pull the glowplug as far out as you can, until it hits the swollen part. Take a pair of pliers and break off the threaded/connector part. Take a new glowplug, and push the swollen part into the head, until you can see it thru the injector hole. If you push it too far, you are probably going to have to pull the head...so be careful. Once you see it thru the injector hole, take a pair of medical forceps, and clamp onto the bugger, and pull it out. I did this on all 8 of mine without much issue. Replace them with AC 60G's, only way to go. I hooked one up to a 12v battery, and let it sit for a few minutes, no swelling. Good luck.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it hard to start? Lots of cranking like it got air in the system? I guess it could also be a weak injector banging a little until the air gets purged...

Rebelpride

It does seem difficult to start, or else I'm just pussin around with it. Instructions on the back of the visor say hold pedal down half way in warmer weather to start. Does it hurt the engine to start with the throttle held half open.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to start could also be glow plugs you mentioned, so you might want to get those replaced before trying to troubleshoot this problem.

I hold the pedal 1/2 way whenever I start my trucks. That's the way these are supposed to be started. It just gives them a little extra fuel to fire over on. In really cold weather, they recommend all the way down, I believe.

AJMBLAZER

I was told...by Alfa Heaven so who knows if it's correct or not...that these things automatically are at 1/2 throttle when you first crank them over...not sure on that but I just keep my foot down at least half way every time I crank mine over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks